Greg, tell us more about your Turbo Toyota...

MR.D

Is it one of the 86-88 stock turbo truck units, or is it a custom install? IIRC the stock Toyota turbo trucks were outperformed by the new '89 3.0 V6s when they appeared and replaced the Turbo option, but I'm going on memory alone. How heavy is the your rig and what sort of mpg do you get with your engine package? Would you say it outperforms a similar weighted later model V6?

It is a stock factory turbo. The V6 has alittle more horse power but the 22rte has more torque at a lower rpm.

22RTE 1986-1987 135@4800 173@2800

3VZE 1988-1995 150@4800 180@3400

To me it looks like the power curve of the 22rte starts lower which can be a benifit in high altitude hill starts. V6 though might be in the same torque range at 2800 rpm though. The turbos were introduced to compete with the Datsun v6. It is felt that the introduction of the turbos was rushed thru engeneering and so the turbo falls short in some ways. The exhaust side tends to overheat and fail, bearings are actually not the first to fail, its usually a hole gets burned thru the housing at the waste gate. Its felt that it was not designed to allow for enough exhaust flow all the way thru the exhaust system. Which in turn causes back pressure and an overheat condition.

I have no idea the weight of my rig. I am on my way back outside and will see if I can find the Gross weight tag. I was under it today and realized that a previous owner had added sping helpers to both the front and rear side of both rear springs. I also noticed that the passenger side tire has been rubbing on the frame rail. The spring bushings are shot. The rear shackle is probably 3 times as long as a standard Toy MH and so it allows the axle to shift more to the left or right when taking curves. Thats my theory, might be wrong but can not think of another reason.