1993 Seabreeze (And Others) Scam Report

Gulfstream Greg

Wow dude. These guys tried to get me to! I was looking all over for these motorhomes and I seen a great deal in washington, 2800 for an 89 dolphin in great shape. (I have friends there, and was entertaining the idea of a train ride up/friends/motorhome back down) so I contacted the guy and he gave me the same sales pitch. EBAY this and inspect for 3 days and return that. He also said he's in the military and shipping out overseas and he didnt want the camper to go to crap in his backyard. In the e-mail he sent, it said the camper was in Tampa Flordia (craigslist said seattle area) I was like wait a minute, I know I got crazy that night on craigslist (new city, RV, toyota, repeat) but I know I never got to flordia. So I called him out on it, and I said "I'm really interested in the R.V. give me a call at...."

His next e-mail "I'm in the military and I do special training type stuff everyday blah blah blah and I can't get to a phone."

At that point I was like YEA RIGHT, SCAMMER. SEE YA! And I never wrote him back...

What a piece of crap though, trying to use a patriotic aspect to get your scam rollin. Lame stuff.

• 7 months later...

I clicked on a CL (Sacramento) add for a Toy Dolphin (it has since been removed)

I emailed and asked a couple questions , here is her reply;

Hello,

My name is Kristine, and I am emailing you about the 1990 TOYOTA DOLPHIN V-6 21(25,586 miles) that I have for sale. The motorhome is in immaculate condition, with no need for additional repairs. It has never been involved in an accident. Flawless exterior/interior condition. Here are some interior details: corian counter tops, lots of kitchen pantry, RV 2 way refrigerator,3 gas burner, convectional oven, sofa opens up to a full bed, 2 AC, 21 feet lenght, 5 persons sleeping capacity. The price is reduced at $2,770 as I need to sell it before 17th next month when I will start my new job, for which I will have to travel all over the world, and to be honest I don't want the motorhome to get old in my backyard.

If you have any other questions, or need more info, please free to ask.

For more pics of the motorhome open this link: http://www.use.com/9cf188890dbe3670b8d0

So on another email to her I asked to set a time to come look at it.

Her next email was it was actually in Phoenix AZ she lives in Oklahoma and it was all set up in some Amazon Blah Blah Blah .....

• 2 months later...

Same scam in Florida posted all over the state. I answered his email,told him to go ahead and ship the unit as i had just received a very large check from the prime minister of Nigera so by the time the camper gets to me i will have Cash.Of course he didnt answer so i waited a few days and sent him an email and told him to keep his day job as he was too dumb to be a succesful scammer.

Don

Don, DARN What a coincidence, I won that Nigerian lottery. I sent them all my bank account and credit card numbers and just waiting for them to deposit the money in the accounts.

NOT

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 year later...

Back in 2011, John "Waiter" wrote a very informative posting (#33) on how a person can follow some of the scammers on Craig's List. One of these days, when I get some extra time on my hands, I think I may follow some of John's advice to keep an eye out on that SeaBreeze and watch just how many city's and towns that this ONE elusive RV seems to get posted in!

I wish to thank either Derek or Linda for "Pinning" this topic at the top of the page. I think it may be useful to help some of 'our people' from getting scammed.

P.S. John, If you are still out there and still take a peek at this forum, I hope that you are doing well ever since you had sold your Toy Home. You used to contribute some very cool input during your time at this website. Happy travels to you in 2015!

~Riverman77

• 6 months later...

UPDATE:

On today's news, there are many articles regarding the FBI beginning to crack down on those scam artists who are placing fake ads on eBay, and elsewhere, trying to trick people into buying cars that don't exist.

Here are some key words to Google up, should to wish to read more about online car selling hoaxes, scams and the FBI crackdown.

KEY WORDS TO GOOGLE:

"Selling fake cars online"

Or

"Nicolae Popescu" (He is on the FBI's wanted list)

~Riverman77

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/7/2011 at 8:39 AM, waiter said:

This Scammer(s) uses a computer program to post listings to craigs list all over the united states. I've seen the same listing in 100 of cities, they pop up faster than you can mark them as SPAM.

To counter this, Craigs List has a neat little program "CraigsPal" (Free or Pay version) that I use to search craigs list. I can search any city, any state,any country, or any combination, any item, any price, any keyword(s) :bleh:

Goto www.craigspal.com and download the program.

To find this particular "SeaBreeze" SCAM, I enter the following into CraigsPal (free)

Keywords = "SeaBreeze"
Location = united states
Categories = For Sale > recreational vehicles
Options = Search only titles
Options = Price 2000 to 3000 (This scammer likes 2400 - 2500
Misc = leave at 0 for both items

Click Start

At the bottom of the Results window, you'll see the progress of the search
In the results window, you'll see the the results, you can sort these by clicking on the column header. I like to sort by Price, that way I can see the obvious SCAMs all around 2400.

Click on the item and it will pop up in CraigsPal Browser window. From there you can click the "spam/overpost" to mark this item.

When you mark the listing, a message will pop up in your normal browser say "Thanks for posting"

If your bored, you I see this SCAM run on Trailers and cars. The SCAM becomes obvious when you see the number of identical listing across the entire US all with the same or very similar price.

Good Luck and Good hunting.

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Too bad craigslit shut this down.I dont know what good it does to mark things as spam on there because it never seems to do anything,they dont disappear.

2 hours ago, redskinman said:

Too bad craigslit shut this down.I dont know what good it does to mark things as spam on there because it never seems to do anything,they dont disappear.

It normally takes 3 people to report a post on CL before it is removed.  I gave up flagging them there are too many.  I did read an interesting article, this is not 1 or 2 people it is a network, one of the heads of it is somewhere in the middle east with a $1,000,000 reward on his head.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...