1988 Toyota Dolphin need help with filling the fresh water tank

drblack46

Hello everyone. Great site you guys have here. I just bought my awesome '88 Dolphin and I'm loving it. I'm still trying to figure out the basics. One of the many things I need help with is how to fill the fresh water tank. I've connected it to the hose, cranked it tight and turned on the water. It sounds like it's filling up, but the meter inside stays on empty. I left it running for about 20 minutes last night, and still no fill up. Also I was wondering about the switch that turns the water pump on and off. When do I use this? I assume you turn it on when you need water to come through, but that didn't seem like the case. I know it's simple stuff, but I don't have the owners manual. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Dr.

Welcome to the forum.

On my '81 Sunrader, the city water attachment and the potable water tank fill are in two separate spots. In fact, hooking up to city water completely bypasses my potable water holding tanks. On the passenger side of Sadie, right outside where the kitchen sink sits, there's a little tiny door that opens to reveal a hole. There's a label marked "for potable water only" or something like that. The city hose doesn't attach, but I can hold the hose and fill my water tanks that way. Re: the water pump.

Once I've filled my potable water tank, I turn on the pump and let it pressurize. The pump makes an obnoxious noise for a little while, and then stops. If there's air in the lines, when you turn on the faucet, the water will spack and sputter until the air is all pushed through. In my little motorhome, the water pump kicks back on everytime I turn on a faucet. I think this is normal. Anyway, that's how it works for me and Sadie.

Wishing you the best,

shanda

Hi DR

just wanted to add that you can get at your local RV place a fixture that will screw on to your hose it has a valve on it and a 6 in or so plastic hose that is made to go in the opening for filling the water tank . this works better than trying to put the eater hose in there in leavs room for air to come out . if the hose you use to fill it is to large all you wind up with is water on the ground.You use the pump when you want to use water from the tank the hose conection on the side bypasses the tank and allows city water to be used no pump required. I have a Encore 2 that is the way it works I had a larger motor home brfore it was the same way I think most of them are . hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! Yes, that's the missing info I needed. I was connecting it to the line that bypasses the pump. Something else that confused me was the guy who sold it to me (his parents in-law owned it) thought the potable line drained the grey water. Very odd that he would think that. Thanks again!

Edited by drblack46

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to replace the intake hose for my fresh water tank and inside I see no place to connect?? Any help would be appreciated 🙏 it a 1987 Escaper 😊 and I have idea what the white bucket connects too.DC66D271-5A2A-4588-9E55-012ED70739E0.jpeg.b6901530ca4604dca35786e15a732ead.jpeg

C78EC22B-769C-4898-94D6-807B36700B1C.jpeg

370E0357-B9BF-45BA-9C3F-2B2F94CAB062.jpeg

3E1D5A4D-2F41-4427-94F3-A538D1A753A8.jpeg

A759C9CC-E52A-42CF-AF7D-131E01099721.jpeg

The fill hose should screw in to the outside fill port and clamp to the water tank.

I THINK?? the white "bucket" is the top half of an old style interior battery box. You put the house batteries inside an air tight box and then ran a vent hose up hill to the outside. When you charge a lead acid battery it vents hydrogen, so this set up vented the hydrogen outside, instead of recreating the Hindenburg in your house.

Unless you have the bottom somewhere just junk it.