Sunrader Generators

powdrhound

To all Sunrader owners who have a built-in generator:

How large is your generator compartment?

I have seen that the Onan Microlite 2800 is the standard generator, but my compartment is too small for the printed dimentions...

Was there a special small sized Microlite?

Photo's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

p.s. Does anyone have the factory optional microwave installed? Where? What kind/size?

My '88 Sunrader also has a small compartment. It came with a Kohler 2.5 kw which is configured to fit the space with the engine (in view) on top and the generator portion mounted under the engine (out of view). The newer models have the engine and generator side-by-side and will not fit in this compartment. I don't know if anyone now makes a generator to fit that size space or if you could locate an old rebuilt Kohler. Mine still runs but I would like to know of any solutions if mine breaks. Good luck.

I have been giving this a lot of thought..

My camper does not have a generator, but it will.

How much wattage do you need? A small 1Kw 4 stroke job should be enough to do most things. It will also fit just about *anywhere*.

Now... If you purchased a "regular" type standalone generator >3Kw, you would be surprised at just how small the engine/gen unit actually is. It wold probably fit in most storage compartments.

All you'd have to do is tap into the fuel tank somehow. However, if you did go that route, you would have to get out and pull strart the thing every time.

There are many generators available out there, finding one and stripping it down should be pretty easy.

Piping out the exhaust gasses properly is up to you, of course-because you do not want ot be found dead in your RV because the muffler was facing inward and the compartment had a hole in it!

Edited by Tundrawolf

Folks, just gotta weigh in on this one. We are headed out in a few days on a six month trip in our 18' Sunrader, we will be towing a small trailer so that we can take the stuff we want. We own a Yamaha 1000 watt generator, we wont be taking it. We put a 120 watt solar panel on the roof, added a second house batt and a 750 watt inverter. We will swap the inverter for a 1200 watt one (for the microwave) once we get into the US. On a recent 2 week trip, we pulled into campgrounds with elec hookups and didn't even bother to use them. Susan makes her coffee with a 110volt filter coffee maker. The only rational for a genset is if you live in the southern states and need air conditioning for summer use. People who start a genset just so they can sit inside and watch TV are one of the things that irritate neighbors.

Tony.

We also have a 7.5 kw kohler genset in our bus conversion, but try very hard to avoid using it.

Tundrawolf: How long is your Sunrader? I'm in the process of buying an 18' and I want to know if there is some way to install a generator even though space is limited.

I actually have a 20' Dolphin..

If you are mechanically inclined, you can ADD space, but you have to tear into the body of the RV, which is what I am going to do anyway.

Also, another reason for a generator is if you are on a long trip in the wilderness, and your solar cannot (Or may not be able to) provide for your needs for longer than a few days..

I have a lot of experience with solar, and for the money, a genset is cheaper for heavy-duty constant usage, and it is not fun to be out in the middle of nowhere camping when your batteries are dead and you can't use your 12v (Or 110 inverter) becasue it is cloudy, or your battery(ies) (Or inverter) aren't able to handle the draw.

Also, is the fact that many smaller gensets have a 12V output, so if you are forced to use it, you can also charge your batteries while using the 110v at the same time.

For many applications solar is adequate and will do just fine, if you have invested wisely, hwoever for remote camping I prefer to have a genny just in case/for backup. I will be using a 150 watt panel ($750)on my RV w/ a charge controller ($200) which is mandatory, or you will cook your batteries. Also a 1+ Kw inverter ($100) or a .4Kw pure sine wave inverter ($300). I routinely use a small "Harbor freight" cheapy (>$200) generator, which has the ability to charge batteries while it is putting out 110v simultaneously.

I was using a 2.3Kw generator the other day intermittently where I live (Because where I live there is no power, just solar) and was shocked to see it used so little gas. I have also run my welder off of this generator and it did fine-and the unit is small enough to fit in a small compartment, minus gas tank and roll bars.

Please note I am not putting solar down, because it is going to be my primary source of electricity, however I am also going to have a generator for backups, or when I may need more than what the inverter or batteries can provide.

Edited by Tundrawolf

1986 Sunrader 21ft. I have a Coleman 1850 generator mounted in the generator compartment. The compartment is quite small and I've sized it for a Honda 2000i and the Honda won't fit. I'm not sure the new models of Coleman will fit either. The 1850 watt generator works fine with a 9,000 BTU air conditioner. I did measure the compartment but have misplaced the dimensions. It has lips near the door and is recessed so the door measurements do not match the interior space.

John H

SW Ohio

'86 Sunrader 21 ft. 22RE, auto

• 9 years later...

What year did Toyota put built in generators in their mini motorhome ? And does anyone know where it would be located? I bought a 1987 conquest and I could really use the help in locating different parts in it since the owner never sent me the manuals as promised

The motorhome manufacturers put generators in the RV's not Toyota. Most did not come with them as they were an expensive option. We might be able to tell if you have pics of the outside. Generators usually have large door on outside with vents. There would also be an extra exhaust pipe sticking out somewhere near it. Not the truck exhaust

Linda S

Not much help, but if the Conquest manuals are like all the others I've seen, they're so vague and general that they probably wouldn't answer those questions for you. I think your best bet would be to post some 'what's this?' photos and we'll try to help you out. If you can find make and model numbers, a quick Google search will ID them for you and often lead you to a Pdf of the operating manual.

There should be some sort of start/stop electrical panel inside if it has a generator.

This is an older ONAN generator, open all your exterior hatches and look. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-4-0-RV-GENSET-GENERATOR-4KVA-SINGLE-PHASE-S-N-C803513803/112964503705?epid=1353188441&hash=item1a4d358899:g:w6UAAOSwK~da42SF

This what an older Kohler generator looks like.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-4-0-RV-GENSET-GENERATOR-4KVA-SINGLE-PHASE-S-N-C803513803/112964503705?epid=1353188441&hash=item1a4d358899:g:w6UAAOSwK~da42SF

Both are large, noisy and expensive. The previous owner would surely be touting their existence.

Edited by WME

The Mini Mach are 7000-9200 BTUs depending on the year. My Escaper had a 13,5K BTU, a hot shot starting capacitor and a 2.8kw Onan Mico Light generator

If you remove the upper shroud there will be a factory ID. plate on the rear of the unit. This will give you the model # installed on your rig. As WME stated, the mini-Mach btu rating can change by model year. I have an original 1979 model that’s still working fine. It’s rated for 7100 btu. 

The 14”x14” rough opening is pretty standard for RV rooftop units. Before spending tons of money fixing an old unit you might be better off buying new. IMHO

079ECD16-FF91-44CC-A135-96E325799BC8.jpeg

C23C1767-CA02-4AC6-8DEA-379D53AB4CAF.jpeg

Edited by fred heath