Has anyone done any engine or drivetrain changes or upgrades for increased power or driveability they care to share? Good, bad or in-between, its nice to have some ideas as to what works and what doesn't.

I have a 78 Odessey 20' with the 20R 4cyl, 4spd, and have installed a header with bigger exhaust system, a Weber carb and Offenhauser intake, the changes gave a nice boost in power and fuel mileage hasn't suffered any.

My Chinook has had many changes and it continues to be a challenge to try different things, but I won't classify it as normal so it doesn't count. Then like Greg and his turbo Sunrader, I have a project in the works that will soon be pressurizing the cylinders and I,m anxiuos to see if it will go or blow.

All I have done is add a K&N air cleaner. Plan to adjust the valves tomarrow. I adjusted them a couple of weeks ago and it did help on power but one is still clacking. They are a pain to adjust. If money allows one day I would like to swap out the oem turbo to a hybrid along with a header and larger exhaust. Maybe a different cam too. Probably will need a ring job by then.

Greg, The turbo upgrade from what I have read is a good addition as the original equipment one is a bit undersized for max performance. I bet the header would be a unique item for yours, don't see many available for that application because of the limited production of the turbo trucks. The exhaust and cam upgrades would probably spice things up a little, careful on the cam selection with the turbo, as they can defeat the purpose when running turbo's and blowers if the wrong overlap is used.

I hear ya on the valve adjusting, not one of my favorites either, but its one of those jobs I try to do on a regular basis. Have fun.

Nolan, here is a link. These folks have a kit. Turbo Kit

There is someone else making a header and turbo kit, they use a hybrid t3/t4 turbo. Can not remember who or find the link. There is also another guy who puts together a kit that just includes a stainless steel down tube and 2.5 inch complete stainless exhaust. I know someone who bought the later with out the exhaust. There were some problems with the install but its running. Maybe I will contact him and get over here to give us the exact story.

On an 86 with EFI. K&N air filter, 2mm overboard TB, RV 270 deg cam. 2"muffler into 2.25" tail pipe.

Somewhere around 135hp I would guess

:ThumbUp: Sounds sweet, was the computer able to cope with the mods with no problems? I,m slowly finishing up the final details on my supercharged project, should be able to fire it off before long and see if the results were worth the effort.

Fiting it all into the older chassis (78) has proven to be a challenge, worst part is working on it with the lifted 4x4 chassis, short leg syndrome :)

Any other changes in store besides the ones you have done so far? keep up the good work.

:rolleyes: Too much is not enough. This summer its just drive it. Next winter is oversized valves, 3 angle seats, maybe a little port matching.

WME

:w00t: Your wish list sounds great WME, I did pretty much the same with the O/S valves, springs, bronze guides on project Blew. Kinda fun tweaking these little motors to see what can be gained. I have built several now using different combinations and approaches and some while back built one of the big bore 22R stroker motors for a fellow and have to say was quite impressed with the outcome,, a touch spendy but impressive.

Ya about 2.6L stroker would be just what the Doctor ordered for a slightly over weight Toy MH.

Oh Yeah, The same thought crossed my mind, but the cost is a bit out of my budget for the toyhouse. Luckily the one I did I just built it and didn't have to pay for it :D It has been a very dependable upgrade to date (30.000 miles and counting) with no problems. I haven't looked into what the cost might be to build a milder version but I,m sure it could be done somewhat cheaper. Too many other projects to go there now.

• 1 year later...

Finally got it all done.... :ThumbUp: I like it.....

Thats great WME, did you get all the mods you had planned done?

Haven't been on here for some time, been busy with my own project trying to get it finished up, its been a long road but finally getting there and I,m ready to start having fun instead of working on it. Look forward to hearing about the build-up.

Got everything but the stroker ^_^ , budget couldn't handle that.

Any final package is 2mm overboreTB, new EB head with O/S valves, 3 angle valve job and pocket porting, 270 cam, 2" into 2.25" exhaust.

Sorta drives like a perment 10-15mph tailwind.

Maybe a header next year if I can one that will fit an auto with column shift.