What do you guys think of this one?

weasel_master

I'm looking at buying my first motorhome. I ran across this ad while perusing the internet this morning.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/rvs/805668103.html

These things seem pretty easy to fix as their old enough before things got overly complicated. I think I may take a run down there this afternoon and check it out. Is there anything specific I should watch out for? Also, I don't think it'll be hard to fix the stalling problem. What do you think?

At $1250.00 it could be a bargin. Did they send you pics of the inside?

I'll let someone else tell you what to look for. All I know is the obvious stuff but someone else here will know what to look for on that model and year I'm sure.

Hope it's a good one,

Looks like a nice rig good price . I would make sure it has the 6 lug rear axel upgrade . I was lucky when I got my 83 it had the new axel . Did not know it was a issuue untill I found in the paper work that came with it :Poster_oops: it had been replaced with a new one because of a recall . :rolleyes:

Obvious.....like check under the mattress over the cab it's one of the first places to leak and will rot the wood if left long enough........ask them to plug everything up in advance of you coming so you can see that everything works....check bathroom floor and all floors for weak spots and things like that. Just take a good long look even if you have to get on their nerves. lol At least you'll know about what you'll have to put into along with buying it.

$1,250 is a great price that leaves room for improvements, etc. If it doesn't have the 6 bolt full-floating rear axle, definitely look for one and have it installed. The choke issue may not be anything major. It may just need a tune up. Hope this is "the one" for you. The lack of rust from Michigan winters is a plus.

Charles & Dianne

'84 Dolphin

I just got this email back from the seller. I've got him talked down to $800 now. I just need to find out if it's the 5 or 6 lug axle before I drive up to check it out.

the motorhome belongs to a buddy of mine and it's actually

sitting at his sister's house, so it's hard to get any more pictures. I do know,

since it rained for 3 days straight, that the roof is leaking and soaked the

inside. It is 25+ years old and the cushions that you sleep on need

replacing. But the roof would have to be sealed to stop the rain. So I guess you

should expect to do some work on the inside. Under the hood, it's just a 4

cylinder Toyota motor, with no air conditioning. I took one perspective

looker for a ride in it and it ran, but it wouldn't idle good until it warmed up

completely. So I think it will need a carburator. Oh yeah, it only has

88,000 miles on it, and it drove out OK as far as the steering, brakes, and

clutch. Unfortunately, the looker I took for a ride only wanted to trade a

go-cart for it, since he didn't actually have any money. I hope this info

helps. His sister wants it out of her yard , so if you need more info before

you come this far, just let me know.

interior repairs can be the most time consuming and costly. There was one person who recently posted on the Yahoo groups that was in over $7k on a "sweet deal" fixer upper and no where near finished.

If you can do the work yourself and you can keep the water out (store it under cover) so that it does not need to be redone again in a few years you may be ok on the purchase.

Once there are leaks, if they are not taken care of quickly the interior goes south in just a few months.

Factor in another $1k for a rear axle as well as another $1k for the "normal" stuff (brakes, shocks, tires, belts/hoses, fluids, etc) on top of a complete interior restoration and you may well be better off spending $6-8k on a much newer coach that you can use.