I've heard the subject mentioned,mine is a 92,that had a bent valve so I had both heads off its a job the cross over from the exhust manfolds hard to get to but it can be done,I didn't know about the headgasket issue at the time probably got blown out of proportion I used a genric gasket set if I had known about the issue would have used the best,since its been done haven't had any problems. Check with the dealer it would give you a idea. Tom

I have a 1990 Odyssey and after calling Toyota twice, they stated that the

head gasket problem never applied to my Toyota. I think some 1990s were

involved, but it depends on the VIN. I thought I saw a VIN range document

somewhere on the two Toyota motorhome sites.

Dennis...

I have three different bulletins. You figure it out. Remember the chassis is one year older than the model year.

Any Toyota dealer should be able to tell from the VIN. You have to tell some of them it's the head gasket recall or they won't find it.

post-332-1218502523_thumb.jpg

post-332-1218502536_thumb.jpg

post-332-1218502557_thumb.jpg

The 92 v6 dolphin I had for a short time had the gaskets twice. The first owner had it done at 15k miles under warranty. The second owner had it done around 86k miles. The receit was around 1500. I was amazed to see 500 of it was for the head gasket. There was also a receit for the right exhoust gasket for 500 a year later.

• 1 year later...

Anybody know how much it would cost to have head gaskets replaced on a 1990 V-6? Was the 1990 involved in the gasket recall?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Basswoodman

call any toyota dealer with your vin -- they can tell you

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 92 Dolphin and brought it in to the dealer for an oil leak. Turned out the head gasket recall could be done, and was. The bad thing about it is they found all kind of parts that were bad, or partially bad. Radiator leak, water pump leak, wrong fan, bad fan clutch, and others. When it's all apart you hate not to fix things as the labor is covered by the gasket replace (except for radiator), anyway its still in the shop today, waiting for a call. I guess that's the dealer's job, to find work...

Anybody know how much it would cost to have head gaskets replaced on a 1990 V-6? Was the 1990 involved in the gasket recall?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Basswoodman

I had my 1990 checked and Toyota told me mine had never had it done and there were no outstanding recalls on it. Simply put, it didn't apply.

I had my 1990 checked and Toyota told me mine had never had it done and there were no outstanding recalls on it. Simply put, it didn't apply.

There definately seem to be mixed messages being sent by Toyota. It seems to depend on which dealer you contact. Who exectly was it that told you "it didn't apply". Was it a dealer or Toyota directly? I know that Gene J has recently had success finding a dealer in NV willing to 'play ball'.

I read gene j’s post and followed Derek up North’s advice and became a member of TundraSolutions, found the thread on the recall ( http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/32512-4runner-head-gasket-recall/ ) email mustand67408 (AKA Victor Camperi from Findlay Toyota ) He returned my email promptly. My RV is not included in the recall.

He asked me to let everybody know that he wants to be contacted directly to avoid any potential problem or hick-ups if you’re lucky enough to qualify. He is also offering discounted pricing on Toyota parts and service to the various members of the Toyota sites.

I would advise ALL 89 – 95 3VZ - V6 owners to email him your VIN # and see if you have any recalls. Vic is easy and nice to deal with.

Andrew.

Here is his card:

FindlayToyotainfo.jpg

My head gasket job is done.....and all the new parts are in.....right now I have no complaints...oil leak was only valve cover gaskets and it is now history and all the new cooling system parts are in and all the new ignition tune up parts as well. The valve tap-tap-tap is gone. I'm really quite happy at the moment. I must say I was quite impressed by Findlay Toyota here in Las Vegas. They did a great job (of course it did cost quite a bit) and I feel better knowing the entire cooling system is new... I live in the desert and the temp in the summer can get to 120 at times...one thing for sure, a motorhome that is almost 20 years old will always have one need or another but the damn thing is so cute!!