77 Sunrader

Trumpeter

Hello all,

Wow, there really is something for everyone on the internet! Who would have thunk it, a Toyota RV site. Bravo!

Anyway,

I have been in the market for a small, fuel efficient RV for some time and these little Toyota jobs seem to be the ticket.

I have run across a 77 Sunrader with 135,000 miles. Interior looks good for its age, everything works, tires are 75%, small repaired crack in fiberglass. The engine is iffy, I think that if I buy it I will swap out the 20R for a rebuilt 22R (about $1000 dollars if I do all the work). BTW is that a "drop in" upgrade? The dude wants $2000 for it. What do y'all think?

Nathan

Hi Nathan and welcome to the group here

Your probably not going to find many at that low price. If the interior is in good shape then it could be a sweet deal. Not sure about an engine swap though. I don't know enough about those engines and if they would just bolt in. If you went with a fuel injecteted engine you would also have to change out the gas tank to one with a fuel pump inside it. I think I have seen some wire kits for doing the electrical conversion. Certainly dropping a 22r in would be much easier. There are lots of those engines in the wrecking yards that can be had for cheap. Best though to find one that is running so that you can have a listen. The truth is even newer really low milage rigs usually have a lot of work to be done on them. There is always something that needs attention or upgrading. Tires are one of the big payouts. Cost a lot of money and you never wear them out. They get old and die first. 10 years for tires is about max.