Black tank cleaner.

Shoprat

A while back, someone here posted info on a homemade tank cleaner. It used fabric softener, laundry soap, and water. I think it was either Maineah or Moosepucky. I would like the proportions please. Tank is in bad need of a through cleaning. Whooey !

Don't forget to add a bag or 2 of ice cubes. Then go for a drive, they bang around in the tank and knock things lose, then melt and make an easy dump

A while back, someone here posted info on a homemade tank cleaner. It used fabric softener, laundry soap, and water. I think it was either Maineah or Moosepucky. I would like the proportions please. Tank is in bad need of a through cleaning. Whooey !

Hi Shoprat,

What you are asking about is called "The Geo Method." Here is what Charles Bruni, the guy that came up with the method says to do:

"Use water softener, detergent and chlorine bleach.

This stuff is amazing and it works. Buy a couple of boxes of powdered water softener at the grocery store. You'll find it with or near the laundry detergent products. Calgon Water Softener dissolves quickly in water than cheaper water softeners. Dissolve 2 cups water softener in a gallon of hot water. Add a cup of laundry detergent. Then, pour the solution down the drain into the empty black water tank. The tank's drain valve should be closed otherwise the softened water will just drain out. Then use the tank normally until it is full and drain it normally. This will clean the tank.

The water softener makes the solid waste let go from the sides of the tanks. Occasionally, I pour a half gallon of liquid chlorine bleach into the tank to deodorize, sanitize and disinfect it. I add the the bleach when the tank is about half full, and then continue to use the tank normally until it is full and ready to dump. I no longer use the blue toilet chemical because it isn't necessary. I have no odors coming from my black water tank. The chlorine bleach kills the bacteria, which is primarily responsible for waste water tank odor. Generic brand liquid bleach is cheap and very effective."

We tried this on our black water tank and it did clean it. We found liquid Calgon water softener at Walmart, used the cheapest Dollar Store powdered detergent and Walmart bleach. Just remember, our Toys have small black water tanks, so you might want to use about half of the above "recipe." Hope this is what you were looking for...I know it's wordy, but thought others would be interested.

Happy cleaning!

Dianne

I mentioned this before. Chlorine in the bleach reacts with the ammonia in the urine to produce chloramines -- NH2Cl, NHCl2 and NCl3

These cause eye and respiratory irritation.

A good alternative is generic oxyclean. You can get it in the dollar store. It uses peroxide as the oxidizer.

Thanks Folks for the quick reply. Now I remember that " The Solution" was in a link listed in a discussion. Gottas love my screen door memory. My tank is now empty, think I'll pour about 5 gallons or so down both tanks, along with ice cubes in the black water tank, and take " Against the Wind" out for a 10 - 20 mile cobwebb clearing drive.

I put those weather vane things on my vents, they work great! I think I paid $18 for them. Guess they won’t help you right now with out treating the tanks but they made a great addition on mine.

When traveling I dump when I arrive at a camp site. I leave with "stuff" in the holding tanks so that they can slosh around, then when I get to the next campground, first thing I do before finding a place is to empty the tanks so that they can fill again.

I find that this helps keep them cleaner to drive around with something in them to slosh and agitate.

BUT you do have to get them clean for them to stay clean.

Hi all,

When we put all the "cleaning mix" in our black tank, it was empty and we wanted to clean it since it had not been in use for quite awhile. We would leave the chlorine bleach out of the mix as stated in one of the above posts when camping or traveling. No need to take a chance with chemical reactions.

Dianne

I put those weather vane things on my vents, they work great! I think I paid $18 for them. Guess they won’t help you right now with out treating the tanks but they made a great addition on mine.

I was troubled with the outhouse smell while traveling down the road. Even after throughly cleaning my holding tanks and making sure my vent pipe was clear I would still get the smell once it was used again. I installed the weather vane thing on my black tank vent and it does work great, no more smells.

Allen

:ThumbUp: ON the weathervane thingie. Works great going down the road. Dose a fair job when parked and there is some breeze.