how far has your toy gone?

globalhobo

So I hear how FEW miles this one has and that one has, but I don't hear a lot about how rugged they are or aren't.

We're looking at one to drive through Central America to Panama and back. The "topes" (humungous speed bumps) are notorious for ripping the bottom off cars. The roads are also not the best once off the highways.

So my question is: has anyone taken their toy off the beaten path? Or, ibetter yet, has anyone taken one to Central America? We'd love to hear stories of high miles and horrific roads -- if they're out there. If not, and you experienced Toy owners out there think the 2 wheel drive ones aren't the best bet for a trip like this, PLEASE let us know so we don't write to the forum someday from the back of a mule that just happens to be in an area with hi-speed wifi.

Thanks....

Hello,

My 1990 Toyota has 99,000 miles on it and I have saw others in the 125,000 to 150,000 range.

As far as how they stand up to bad roads, I took mine to Chicago three times and made it back

each time...:-). Our family joke is what we know when we are in NE Illinois is when the

RV (or Car, or Van, or motorcycle) starts jumping all over the road.

Hopefully others will have a more exact first hand experience to share with you.

You may have to go with different stocks to help protect your Toyota.

Dennis...

Haven't been to Panama but certainly would go with ours, Live in La Paz BCS and deal with topes all the time, Last weekend went to a beach a little north of here, dirt road then Parked in a sandy area I think they can handle a little sand, but I have 5sp manual. There are at least 6-7 Toys here in La Paz.

mule train with a wi-fi! :)

As mycomitan living in baja can attest, 2 wheel drive is all you really need for almost anything you want to do as long as you go SLOW. Most ppl get in trouble on crappy roads because they are driving too fast not because they get stuck. Add a ton of weight and you really compound the problems.

post-385-1217993533_thumb.jpg

Hey, mycomitan was that beach north of you Punta Conejo? Love that place!

good morning;

We have a1987/88 , 4cyl 22re engine. It now has 150,000 miles on it. We live on the East coast of Canada and have driven it out West 4 of the past 5 years, including a couple times over the Rockies. Last year that icluded a trip over the Beartooth(Bearpaw?) Pass outof the N.E. corner of Yellowstone park.

Although it is currently down in New Hampshire getting some reno(new emergency brake system, new light covers ,etc.) we could confidently drive it across the continent again,

We have just purchased a '90 odyssey model ;6 cyl 23,000 miles on it. I'll have to see it after a 100,000 or so to judge whether it is anywhere as good as the 4cyl 22re. My bet is that nothing is as good as that little engine.

As far as tough goes, these rigs will take where you wanna go. Have a great time.

Graham and Faye.

Btw, are you going to the Toy rally in Indiana in Oct?

• 4 months later...

My first toy was a 1983 4 cyl 4 speed RBR which has a wood frame and generally lousy construction. I drove it round trip cross country. I was living near Boston at the time and the roads are worse than your speed bumps. We're talking lunar landscape with potholes that can swallow a blue whale. Somehow it survived. I did loose a booster coil that sprung out when I hit a particularly nasty pothole.

My latest which is a 91 Winnebago, I take off road in central Oregon. The trick is driving with common sense. The body role is what bugs me. That is why I like booster coils rather than air bags.

• 6 months later...

My wife and I just purchased a 1986 21' New Horizon. Woot Woot! Grandma and Grandpa purchased this thing new and drove to 49 states. It has 131,000 and runs great with no leaks and up Utah mountain grades for over an hour at a time without warming up a bit. I'm really impressed.

Thanks to everyone for all the great reading and support everyone is providing us members. Great Site! Great People! Hope to see you on the road. We're off to Great Basin National Park tomorrow to see the oldest trees in the world.

Stu

My wife and I just purchased a 1986 21' New Horizon. Woot Woot! Grandma and Grandpa purchased this thing new and drove to 49 states. It has 131,000 and runs great with no leaks and up Utah mountain grades for over an hour at a time without warming up a bit. I'm really impressed.

Thanks to everyone for all the great reading and support everyone is providing us members. Great Site! Great People! Hope to see you on the road. We're off to Great Basin National Park tomorrow to see the oldest trees in the world.

Stu

Hey Stu,

Your rig is just barely broken in!!! These Toys are super tough and will take you lots of places just be nice to them and treat them right. They are kind of like the famous E-bunny . . . they just keep on going and going and going! Have a great time looking at the oldest trees in the world in a New Horizon that's not quite that old . . . yet! :D

Dianne

Wow thats my dream! Have a blast.

Mirage has 140k, 80k when i got it. Shasta 177k, was a rental although the engine looks cleaner than mirage's and tranny seems stronger. But only drove it home where she rests. I Have utmost faith in 22re. My mechanic sees them with 300k+ in Dominican Republic. Lets start a convoy! go for it

• 4 weeks later...

So I wanted to add that we drove the Great Basin National Park (a free national park btw) and then proceded to drive from about 6000 to 10500 feet on a 12% grade. WOW what a nerve wracking drive that was but "Victor" our old New Horizon just chugged right up and right back down again. I kept it in low gear down the mountain and let it wind up a bit a couple of times. Near the bottom it started to smoke quite a bit out of the tailpipe. I'm not sure what happened but once we drove on level ground again for a couple of miles it quit and we never had another problem.

We drove through the desert with the A/C blasting at 65 miles per hour and we just love our new home away from home.

We've done a few lakes around the area and are planning the Oregon Coast in Sept.

Looks like they'll go strong for a very long time if you're kind to them.

• 4 weeks later...
rolleyes.gif we have a 1984 dolphin with 105,400 miles. she had 78,350 miles when we bought it, that was 9-3-2007,,yes we have put on 27,000 miles in 2 years. we live in southern oregon and have been to salt lake,ut two times, southern california once, yellowknife-northwest territory- canada-once, phionez,az-grand canyon-death valley once, numerus trips to wash. state,,theres more. still have the original brakes, a new clutch at 95,000 miles, a fuel pump,and a water pump. never a problem on the road. we get 19.7 average mpg and when we tow the boat it dropes down to 16.6mpg. yes im am bragging we love our DOLPHIN. Darrel butwiggle[1].gif

rolleyes.gif we have a 1984 dolphin with 105,400 miles. she had 78,350 miles when we bought it, that was 9-3-2007,,yes we have put on 27,000 miles in 2 years. we live in southern oregon and have been to salt lake,ut two times, southern california once, yellowknife-northwest territory- canada-once, phionez,az-grand canyon-death valley once, numerus trips to wash. state,,theres more. still have the original brakes, a new clutch at 95,000 miles, a fuel pump,and a water pump. never a problem on the road. we get 19.7 average mpg and when we tow the boat it dropes down to 16.6mpg. yes im am bragging we love our DOLPHIN. Darrel butwiggle[1].gif

Holy cow... you tow a boat?! I was told I wasn't supposed to tow anything. Would have helped my load ratio if I'd had a small trailer sometimes...blush.gif Oh well, maybe I'll get a tow pack on the next one I buy.

And in reply to he original poster... just make sure you have good brakes. Being able to climb hills ok doesn't mean you can stop when coming down them, and there's a lot of weight pushing you down the hills.