Replacing Rooftop A/C?

powdrhound

Excellent site!

Has anyone had experience in replacing a swamp cooler rooftop unit with a real a/c unit?

I have not yet located my ski-bum-mobile, but my lady will want an a/c for the summer trips. One of the rigs in current consideration has a non-working swamp cooler. I will need more than that for central California summers, and need to know if this is possible.

Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Easy.... remove swamp cooler. Check to see if there is an 110v ac receptical near the vent. Lift the new A/C on the roof and install tit.

The rv A/C units are bolted on with the bolts going through the 14x14 vent hole so no drilling in the roof. You will need a gasket for the base, get it when you buy the A/C.

The units come in the 9000 btu or 13.5k btu sizes. The smaller 9000 btu ones will work of a 2kw generator. The 13.5k units need 2500w +.

The 9000 will keep an rv cool, it justs takes longer to coo it down. My Toy has a 13.5 and it takes about 1/2 hr to cool down the inside from 100 deg to 75 or so.

WME