Buzz or Hummm when I plug in?

sthelen

:help: I have noticed a buzz over this past year when I switch from battery to plug in power. Last weekend though the buzz was so load I had to unplug at night. Any ideas as to how I can fix this on my own, or should I take it in? ANd what if I don't fix and keep unplugging? Meaning, will it get worse?

Toy, 1986

22ft

Thanks for your help,

Susan

Oregon

Hi Susan

There are two things that will make them buzz. I am going to assume you have a 6300 series converter. One is the transformer itself, the windings become loose and then they vibrate some which can cause a hum or buzzing sound. Most likely though it is the solenoid. When you plug into shore power the solenoid automatically engages. Its powered by the 120 volt AC side. They have probably buzzed since day one. Its purpose is to switch the 12 volt DC coach battery offline except for the charger and switch the 12 vdc appliances and lights to the 12 vdc supplied by the inverter. The solenoid is really not reparable and usually must be replaced with no guarantee that the buzzing will go away. There is also the possibility that it has come loose and is causing a buzz but I dought it.

My 6300 series stopped charging my battery correctly. It over charged then under charged. The 6300 series inverters also have a lot of ac voltage on the dc circuit side which is very bad for any thing electronic that you might run on the 12 volt side when plugged into shore power.

So after I had to replace my battery I took the 6300 out and replaced it with a

7345RU Retrofit. Click on the link and you can see some photos of the old and new parts. Here is another thread where I did some tests on the 7345ru Thread

PS In your post I noticed that the emoticon was not showing. What I figured out is that you might have dragged it into the windw. All you have to do is click on which ever one you want and it will automaticly place it self in the text. I fixed the one you had entered.

Greg

• 2 months later...

Greg,

Thank you so much for the information, I appologise for not writing sooner, I think you are right on the mark and will follow up right away.

Hi Susan

There are two things that will make them buzz. I am going to assume you have a 6300 series converter. One is the transformer itself, the windings become loose and then they vibrate some which can cause a hum or buzzing sound. Most likely though it is the solenoid. When you plug into shore power the solenoid automatically engages. Its powered by the 120 volt AC side. They have probably buzzed since day one. Its purpose is to switch the 12 volt DC coach battery offline except for the charger and switch the 12 vdc appliances and lights to the 12 vdc supplied by the inverter. The solenoid is really not reparable and usually must be replaced with no guarantee that the buzzing will go away. There is also the possibility that it has come loose and is causing a buzz but I dought it.

My 6300 series stopped charging my battery correctly. It over charged then under charged. The 6300 series inverters also have a lot of ac voltage on the dc circuit side which is very bad for any thing electronic that you might run on the 12 volt side when plugged into shore power.

So after I had to replace my battery I took the 6300 out and replaced it with a

7345RU Retrofit. Click on the link and you can see some photos of the old and new parts. Here is another thread where I did some tests on the 7345ru Thread

PS In your post I noticed that the emoticon was not showing. What I figured out is that you might have dragged it into the windw. All you have to do is click on which ever one you want and it will automaticly place it self in the text. I fixed the one you had entered.

Greg