Draining a water heater on a 1987 Huntsman

Hi Folks,

I am really glad to have found this offramp on the information superhighway.  I hate to have my first post be a plea for help but I reckon (in the parlance of today's youth) it is what it is. 

We purchased an 1987 Huntsman a couple of months ago and it is a fantastic vehicle but one that came with some challenges. The long term is that we need to replace the rear axle. The short term is that it did not come with a manual and I need to figure out how to drain the hot water heater as part of winterizing it.  We don't plan on using the shower and can heat water on the stove to do dishes but I want to treat a 33 year old RV with all the TLC I can muster.

I have attached photos that are

Howdah heater 1- This is an admittedly not great picture of the hot water heater from the access panel on the outside of the vehicle.

Howdah heater label-  A close up of the label on the heater. Pretty much impossible to read much but I reckon it won't hurt to include it.

Howdah heater water lines- These are the lines that come into the structure (underneath the stove) and are the only things that I can see that look like water lines. The valves are pretty tore up and that ancient plastic pipe (can't remember what it is but I know it isn't pex) makes me a little nervous.

Howdah heater valve closeup- This is , well, a closeup shot of one of the valves.

I'd like to set up a permanant bypass but for the short term I just want to figure out how to drain the hot water heater so I can proceed with winterization in advance of a cold snap we have coming in in a couple of days.

Worst case I can drive this the 20 miles or so to an RV dealer/shop but I'd rather not do that for 2 reasons. 1. This has a five lug rear axle and I know we are going to be way out of pocket fixing that and 2. I really don't want to drive the thing any more than I have to becasue it has, you know, that 5 lug rear axle.

In closing I suppose I should explain "howdah".  I call the vehicle "The Hillbilly Howdah". The name comes from the first time I rode in it on the way to deer camp with the former owner.  Wikipedia can explain what a howdah is better than I can or at the very least with less typing on my part https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdah .

Thanks in advance for any help,

Andy

No photos,

After 2 years in Thailand I know what a Howdah is supposed to be. But brand name of the heater would be more helpful, the pictures even more🙄

OK, To drain the water heater... There is a drain petcock behind the burner tube. Open it (It probably turns backwards) Then lift up on the lever on the pressure relief valve, this lets air into the tank. Its above the thermostat.

FWIW the copper pipe is for the propane. Best guess, the valve on the gray pipe is most likely low point drain. The gray stuff was withdrawn for RV use. Replace as much as you can with real PEX. If you just to repair it check out Sharkbite fittings.