What MPG do you get?

Yostfmx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten 21 a few times with the diesel but that kind of mileage is more the exception, not typical.

Hey guys,

I just returned from my 3000+ mile trip and am happy to report I averaged 13.625 with more mountains and hills than flat. Also had a small head wind and blowing snow a couple of days.

2 adults and 3 kids and food/clothes/bicycles/generater etc for 2 weeks on the road.

The last 2 days I was going East through Kansas and Oklahoma into Arkansas. These days I got 16 and 16.3 MPG.

I made a great investment in the 86 Dolphin Model 900 with the 2.4L 4 CYL w/FI.

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1214431824_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1214431860_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1214431902_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1214431932_thumb.jpg

Anybody "Hypermile" there motorhome? I thought of somethings I'm going to try with mine. Make a underbody panel that goes from the rear axle to the back to stop that wind drag, make covers over rear wheels, fair in the big step from cab to camper (big drag), And for me, angle the 8' roof lift that I made so its not a big step. I may make a front lip that goes all the way to the ground to stop air from going under the motorhome but not sure if thats will help cause its a big gap to fill in and more drag maybe?

I just can't see myself only getting 15-16 mpg! cause my lowest mpg vehicle gets 60 mpg. I'm going to have to get at least 20 mpg, think thats do able with those mods, oh plus I'm running a single axle, that should help the mpg to not have 2 extra wheels.

Whats a toyota pickups mpg stock with a 4cyl 22r manual?

I just got my '81 Dolphin, so I've only taken some local trips to test things out. Managed to burn through most of my first tank of gas and averaged 19.2. I wasn't climing any mountains, but I wasn't driving on all flat ground either. Since they were short runs, I wasn't fully loaded up, so I expect I'll get a little lower when I take some extended trips.

Regarding the question.... Whats a toyota pickups mpg stock with a 4cyl 22r manual?

My 1986 Toyota pickup with the 4 cylinder 22R with 4-speed manual got 35mpg highway

(crusing around 70mph) and 28 mpg city.

Dennis...

35, thats great! at 70 mph!

When I drove my motorhome home after I bought it I was doing 50 mph in 4th and it sounded like it was high rpm's... sounds like it needs a 5th gear to me.

19.2 sounds good. Is it an 18'?

It's the one they're calling 20'. I'm sure once I fill all my tanks and load 'er down for a long trip the mileage will drop to more like 15.

So then the weight really does that much. I was thinking it was more the big wind block that the camper makes that drags down the mpg (can't help)

Anyone out there with an 18'er? It seems like 75% of people on here have the bigger motorhomes (20'-24')

What the highest mpg anyone hear of on a toyota motorhome?

Anyone out there with an 18'er? It seems like 75% of people on here have the bigger motorhomes (20'-24')

What the highest mpg anyone hear of on a toyota motorhome?

I've got a 17' and 18'. Neither of them are 22R/E though so not comparable to yours.

In the 18' V6 Sunrader traveling coast to coast... worst mileage was 10.4 mpg and the best was 15.3 mpg (lot of mountains and flatlands going across this hear country)... All interstate travel and cruising speeds of 65-70 mph

I've heard tell that they get as high as 35 mpg on eBay ;-)

Hi all - this topic seems to always generate a lot of interest. We have a 1982 18' Sunrader with a carburetted 22R engine and 4 speed manual tranny. On our recent trip to San Felipe in Baja from our home in northern California we averaged 19.9mpg. The trip was a little over 800 miles. I was really surprised because we developed a vacuum leak during the trip and I thought it would adversely affect the mileage. I do drive pretty conservatively, almost never exceeding 55 mph on the highway. I think the 2 main things that affect fuel mileage are vehicle weight and driving speed. Our rig is pretty lean and mean - no A/C or power steering and total weight when loaded for a trip is 5200 Lbs. And a good headwind will also kill your mileage. I hope everyone out there is having a great summer and planning some great trips!

Bill

picklebill thats the same as mine. 19.9 mpg sounds tops to me! Hoping to have my weight under 3800 lbs. Haha yea I don't know how you guys drive your rigs at 65 - 70, sounds scary to me! I think 50 and under is good.

On my trip from Portland, OR to Amarillo, TX in January I averaged 15.2mpg for the trip. 1983 Sunrader 18' 22R 4-speed manual. I drove 65mph except on the worst tank of 12.9mpg and another I describe below. This was in the mountains with high winds with a long stretch where 59mpg was top speed foot to floor. 3 tanks at 17mpg, one tank at 21mpg. 21mpg was going 55mpg from Raton, NM 6680' to Amarillo, TX 3605'. It was also not a full tank. I knew the mileage was good so I wanted to fill out fo curiousity. I should also add there is not a rooftop A/C on the unit. RV was empty except for a suitcase and a sleeping bag.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen anyone with a V6/OD automatic on here. The guy I bought from claimed 20mpg hwy.(very skeptical) Next week, we are heading to Dallas from St Pete, Fl. I will post when we return how it really is.

Tone/Joan

Expect 11-14 mpg, much less if you travel 65-70 mph (9-11 mpg). This is what I typically get with my 18' V-6 auto.

You "may" get close to 20 (16-18) if you travel 45-50 mph. The higher the speed the lower the fuel economy (wind resistance).

Well when we drove to California we got somewhere between 14-16MPG on the highway and that was going up some steep hills thru Shasta. I have the 22RE FI, but since I cleaned the fuel injection and adjusted the mixture it runs much smoother and gets better mileage. On the 4th I drove it just over 100 miles (flat all the way) and just cruised at about 60-65 MPH and used less than a quarter tank on the drive. I have about a 20 gallon tank so I figure I upped my mileage to the 18-20 range. Last time I made this same drive I used over a quarter tank, so I think the mileage has improved slightly (there are so many variables).

On my 18' 1980 Sunradar (78 Chassis) and a 20R motor. I am averaging 14.5 MPG with 3 people and gear. Does this Sound Right?

To calculate this I'm using an excel sheet I created. I thought that maybe I can share this with you folks. I initially created it for Litres/100 Km, so I made one for you folks South of the border.

I just Realized I'm not allowed to upload an excel sheet. Any ideas?

Edited by sunvader

I just Realized I'm not allowed to upload an excel sheet. Any ideas?

I'd like a copy please.

shanda

email: smcdonald2@allstate.com

I have a 91 Winnebago V6. I recently traveled up hill from the coast of Oregon to Bend in central Oregon. I averaged 14.9 mpg. Coming back downhill it was about 20 mpg. I never got above 65 mph either way. On a straight highway with no strong head wind, the highest I get is 16 mpg. I use synthetic oil, upgraded plug wires, iridium plugs, new air filter and I keep my tire pressure at 50-55 psi (64 psi max rated). I am very careful playing the ECT against the overdrive for optimum rpm and shifting.

I used to get better mileage until Oregon switched to 10% ethanol.

There is one more thing I want to try. My first motor home was a 21 foot class C chassis mount. I bought an air spoiler that goes on the rear of the roof. It was supposed to break the vacuum in the back therefore decreasing drag. It definitely helped. I can't find one and will probably make my own.

ECT for electronic control transmission. The automatics have it. It's the lower rectangular button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. When it's on, it raises the RPM's at which the transmission shifts. I understand that it can be re-programmed.

I use it to keep the overdrive on longer by having it hold the shifts longer. Unless it's very steep hills, then I turn off the overdrive. The goal is to find the right combination on hills so that the transmission does not hunt constantly for the ideal gear and the engine does not lug. I wish that I had a five speed manual or a six speed if they had one.

Would anybody else like a copy? Just PM me your email.

I will automatically send you the U.S. version unless you specify the Canadian version.

The good thing is that it allows you to keep an electronic log of your trips.

Edited by sunvader

Futar, you mentioned the 'ECT'......what is that?? I got a '91, 21' w/V6 & O/D trans. 2 months ago.

Thanx for the info.......Tony

It delays shifting as you accelerate -- (automatic transmission) - useful when climbing hills - I have been in Colorado, now in Wyoming - quite desireable if you want to keep the engine in the power curve (as opposed to lugging). Mine climbs best in first around 15mph (20 is starting to scream), in second around 35. Without ECT mode, it wants to shift up and then you lug.

I think it also delays downshifting too.

I have climbed to 12000' with it .

Well, the trip to Dallas told me I have a 17 gal gas tank when I thought it was 20. Ran out.....lol

Also, I had gas w/ethanol and with start/stop traffic, only got 13 mpg. After that, about 15.5....ran some 93 octane on about 20 gallons of the 60-70 gal used. Not so bad considering that we are pretty well loaded and we have the 21' model....... ttyl.....Tone/Joan

Well, the trip to Dallas told me I have a 17 gal gas tank when I thought it was 20. Ran out.....lol

Running out of gas is not a good thing to do on modern fuel injected autos.

The fuel pump is located in the gas tank.

It relies on the fuel surrounding it to keep it cool and when a tank is run empty the pump runs very hot and ages quicker.

Not to mention all the muck, trash, rust, and scum that is sucked up with the last bit of fuel.

If you ever run a tank empty you should replace your fuel filters as they will get multiple years worth of crud in them from that one time you emptied the tank through them.

I always start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank and try not to go below 1/4 tank on all of my fuel injected autos.

Replacing an in-tank fuel pump (parts and labor) can run several hundred dollars and can be easily avoided by not running out of gas.

Sheesh! I'm just a little miffed that I wasn't taught this stuff earlier. Why is "Auto maintenance" not a REQUIRED subject in school!?!?!? It should be taught right along with Driver's Ed...and to girls too!!!

I feel a Crusade coming on. T-SHIRTS!!! BUMPER STICKERS!!!

Keep it Running! Forever! -

Oil Change Campaign 2008 -

Chicks dig a full tank! -

I'm the world's worst at letting my gas tank run low....really, really low.

No more!

Thank you Diesel "Toy Guru" Mike.

I will humbly pass these lessons on to my children.

shanda

Shanda,

Your toy engine has a mechanical fuel pump located on the engine with a fuel filter located near the tank. You running low on gas is not as critical as the fuel injected engines other than pulling up crud and water that collects in the tank.

Havahappy,

Allen

"Some" older Toyota 22R engine trucks have an in-tank fuel pump. Even those that use carburetors. I'd have to go digging for what years this was.

It is easier to just look at the engine. Follow the fuel line and if it goes directly to the carb that model has an in-tank pump. If it goes to a mechanical pump on the block it does not have an in-tank pump.

Sucking any 25-35 year old fuel tank dry is not a good idea. Pulling the drain plug on the tank and flushing it is a much better way to clean it out.