Tire pressure?

I was always taught to run your tire pressure as high as the tire allows to get better mileage so that's what I did. After having many blowouts on my 1991 Itasca  I lowered the tire pressure to what it recommends on the driver's door (55 PSI) instead of 65 PSI and never had another blowout.

5 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

I was always taught to run your tire pressure as high as the tire allows to get better mileage so that's what I did. After having many blowouts on my 1991 Itasca  I lowered the tire pressure to what it recommends on the driver's door (55 PSI) instead of 65 PSI and never had another blowout.

There are some real misguided people posting about tire pressure on the forums.   But if Willy Winnebago the Toy guru says to run your tires at 65 psi you better listen.  Higher mpg with tires over inflated is very minimal.   Longer braking distances and hydro planing and damaged tires and wheels are much more likely at higher pressures. 

Here is a video from Michlen, they have produced tires for over 100 years,  have bus loads of engineers and truck loads of computers and billions of miles of experience to draw on.  They also have access to gov and university data from all over the world.   Plus if the publish something that causes accidents or injury they are liable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-gPwNZgDGA

Edited by jjrbus

I can't imagine how running tires at max pressure could cause a blow out. I've been running mine at 65 for 15 years and the only blowouts I've had were from bad valve stems and metal crap in the road I ran over. The tires I was running for many of those years were way past their sell by date too but it still took metal waste to take them out. I wouldn't go lower than 55 but anywhere between 55 and 65 should be fine. I do run the front lower a bit 50 to 55.

Linda S

8 hours ago, linda s said:

I can't imagine how running tires at max pressure could cause a blow out.

Linda S

I don't know , I guess it's just me. My local truck tire shop had no explanation either and kept telling me they're good tires. Had the same problem with Nexen and Hankook. After 20K to 25K miles and still decent tread a bubble would appear and the tire would separate. One time it caused some real damage on the rear and almost broke the propane line.

It happened eight times (haha, embarrassing) until I lowered the pressure to what's recommended on the door (55PSI)and then never happened again.

Alright I’m not sure that the inside of our door says anything about tire pressure! We’ve been running ours at 😬😬😬 29 in the front and 32 in the back. So I guess we’ll try increasing the pressure lol 

Find the New Owners Checklist, it is loaded with great info. 

I read extensively on people's experience here in the forums, and for safest ride & handling, I run 40 in the fronts, 45 in the rears on my '86 New Horizon (coach similar in size to your Dolphin).   I've owned a few pretty odd cars & some of them are fatally dangerous if I were to use "max possible pressure as listed on the tire" - there's many differences of opinion here in the forums but those numbers I use seem to come from knowledgeable sources & I like how my rig handles on our twisty & steep Colorado mountain roads.

Running higher pressures (I wouldn't go over Ed's 55 psi) is not bad, but as Linda noted, I'd keep the fronts 5 pounds under the rear - on any car with significantly more weight in the rear, less pressure up front is a significant handling & safety feature.  You'll notice you feel every crack in that highway & the rattling inside the rig will climb from constant to truly amazing levels. 

Enjoy!

Edited by tstockma

Step 1 weigh your Toy separate front and rear,  total too as total weight is useful information.

Tire inflation chart by weight (this is for HA08 tires LT185/14c) C@D range...Note MAX pressure for C range is 50psi

PSI                                     26        29         32        35         38         41         44        47         50         54         58         62         65

single weight cap lbs     1080      1147      1213     1279     1345     1400    1466     1532    1600      1665     1731     1786     1875

dual weight cap lbs        1036      1102     1158      1223     1279     1334     1389     1455    1521      1588     1643    1709     1764

Strange values and steps are due to converting from metric. This chart is a starting point YMMV

This chart is the MAXIMUM SAFE weight for each tire pressure point, add a few psi more for your rig is OK and probably a good idea.

Credit Derek

23 hours ago, Stormtyler1984dolphin said:

Alright I’m not sure that the inside of our door says anything about tire pressure! We’ve been running ours at 😬😬😬 29 in the front and 32 in the back. So I guess we’ll try increasing the pressure lol 

I guess not everybody has this sticker on the driver side door and I was wrong I don't keep them at 55 I keep all six tires at 50 psi.

16061406136761087859786.jpg

3 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

I guess not everybody has this sticker on the driver side door and I was wrong I don't keep them at 55 I keep all six tires at 50 psi.

16061406136761087859786.jpg

Oh yeah our door does NOT have that in it at all haha 

You do not have the correct size tires. You have regular XL truck tires. You need to upgrade to C or D load range. D is easier to find. Your looking for 185R14 tires. There is no middle aspect ratio on them. Since the XL sidewalls flex more they will build up more heat and that can cause blowout. At least fill them to max pressure to reduce that flex. Where you are now is dangerous

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

You do not have the correct size tires. You have regular XL truck tires. You need to upgrade to C or D load range. D is easier to find. Your looking for 185R14 tires. There is no middle aspect ratio on them. Since the XL sidewalls flex more they will build up more heat and that can cause blowout. At least fill them to max pressure to reduce that flex. Where you are now is dangerous

Linda S

Oh. Okay. The tires have been on for years and we do not have any money to replace 6 tires so

On 11/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, Stormtyler1984dolphin said:

My tire chart in the glove box is about the same pressure.

20201123_211316_resized.jpg

Edited by stan6406
added picture

Yes some have old pressure requirements that are extremely outdated. We no longer use them but your recommended tires are at least the correct size so the tire would have been able to handle it somewhat. I can't be sure but I think the manufacturers were trying to give a tiny Toyota truck a smoother ride. Remember these were the same manufacturers who put a dangerous axle on Storm's camper that had to be recalled.   Think Ford Explorer and Firestone tires. That didn't work out too well did it. 

Linda S

My Conquest has the same outdated pressure label. Not really outdated but the truck cab frames being sent from Japan to the motor home builders. Not knowing what weight was being built on the frames. The pressure lable is for the cab without the home IMO.

I run 185R14 Hanooks, 50PSI in front and 65PSI on the rear dullies. 8 years and 18K and they look a new as the day they were put on...looks are deceiving so it's time for new tires.

Cheers!

Gary 

We don’t have any tire pressure label thingy anywhere in here. Upon looking up tires I’m having trouble finding 185r14 tires. Is there any alternative to that size that would work? Also as I said we don’t really have the money to replace all 6 tires. They’re only 2 years old and in good shape. Would replacing the rear 4 and leaving the front 2 be a bad idea?? 

Here is a starting place for tires...https://www.busdepot.com/ra18

If you are having problems with the tire monkey behind the counter about not having the aspect ratio in the tire size and they can't find a Dolphin in the computer, just have them look up the correct tire for a 1985 VW Vanagon

5 minutes ago, WME said:

Here is a starting place for tires...https://www.busdepot.com/ra18

If you are having problems with the tire monkey behind the counter about not having the aspect ratio in the tire size and they can't find a Dolphin in the computer, just have them look up the correct tire for a 1985 VW Vanagon

So expensive 😫😫😫

OK, supposedly, Tire Warehouse, South Burlington sells Thunderer tires. The people here on the forum have reported good service from these tires.

Thunderer Tires, Ranger, R101 185/14/C, stock# THO 304

On 11/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, Stormtyler1984dolphin said:

So expensive 😫😫😫

Another group of good possibilities here, for very reasonable prices. I've bought from Tires-Easy before, with good results.

Just to reiterate, you're looking for 185R14 in C or D load range.

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/c/van-truck/185-Blank-14

Edited by Ctgriffi
Old link didn't work; needed updating

1 hour ago, WME said:

OK, supposedly, Tire Warehouse, South Burlington sells Thunderer tires. The people here on the forum have reported good service from these tires.

Thunderer Tires, Ranger, R101 185/14/C, stock# THO 304

South Burlington Vermont? Well that could be helpful if we hadn’t driven nearly 2000 miles from Vermont lol. We’re in cocoa beach FL

1 hour ago, Ctgriffi said:

Another group of good possibilities here, for very reasonable prices. I've bought from Tires-Easy before, with good results.

Just to reiterate, you're looking for 185R14 in C or D load range.

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/?filtering=,price,sizeWheelDiameter,14,sizeCrossSectionWidth,185,sizeAspectRatio,Blank,categoryPath,Commercial+Truck,categoryPath,Truck%2FSUV

Still so expensive 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Na there's cheaper than that.

LingLong Green-Max Van 185/R14C 99Y Light Truck Tire - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Unknown tire but when I bought my Goform tires they were too and they have been great

There's got to be a Walmart near you. easy 

Linda S

Would we have to replace all 6 tires at once?? Or could we get away with only doing the rear 4?

8 hours ago, Stormtyler1984dolphin said:

Upon looking up tires I’m having trouble finding 185r14 tires. 

I just ordered these today. Free shipping to your front door then you take them to your local tire shop to have them mounted.

https://simpletire.com/brands/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101#mpn=TH0304&tireSize=185-r14&userRegion=6&userZip=78217&v=1

I don't know. You didn't tell me how old your tires are. Did they come with the motorhome or did you buy them. If you bought them and they are only a couple of years old yeah that would work but the tires I posted will probably not be available when you want to upgrade the front. I can't buy the Goforms I put on mine anymore but I bought 6. I only have a non matching spare. It is good to have all tires the same age and tread. Also IF your current tires are fairly new just keep them. They will last for a while and bet the max load is sufficient. Not what I'm supposed to recommend but hey I did it. I also have a Nissan Sunrader and when I picked it up I couldn't find any tires where I was to fit. I put on the same type of XL tires as you and then drove from New York to California. They were cheap they got me home and truth? They are still on it. I don't really drive it anywhere though. BUT more pressure please. 44 lbs is right where your tires  should be. The Thunderer tire Ed just posted will be around a long time and are good tires. Maybe a better choice especially if you want to do the back first.

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't know. You didn't tell me how old your tires are. Did they come with the motorhome or did you buy them. If you bought them and they are only a couple of years old yeah that would work but the tires I posted will probably not be available when you want to upgrade the front. I can't buy the Goforms I put on mine anymore but I bought 6. I only have a non matching spare. It is good to have all tires the same age and tread. Also IF your current tires are fairly new just keep them. They will last for a while and bet the max load is sufficient. Not what I'm supposed to recommend but hey I did it. I also have a Nissan Sunrader and when I picked it up I couldn't find any tires where I was to fit. I put on the same type of XL tires as you and then drove from New York to California. They were cheap they got me home and truth? They are still on it. I don't really drive it anywhere though. BUT more pressure please. 44 lbs is right where your tires  should be. The Thunderer tire Ed just posted will be around a long time and are good tires. Maybe a better choice especially if you want to do the back first.

Linda S

The previous owners put them on so they are less than 2 years old. Once we get situated somewhere I’ll see if we can get those thunderer tires that Ed recommended. The weight capacity for each tire says 1400lbs but having the correct tires would give me peace of mind. I’ll fill the tires we have. Thank you. Hearing that you run similar tires on your sunrader make me feel a little more at ease. Since reading we have the wrong tires I’ve been scared to drive lol

2 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

I just ordered these today. Free shipping to your front door then you take them to your local tire shop to have them mounted.

https://simpletire.com/brands/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101#mpn=TH0304&tireSize=185-r14&userRegion=6&userZip=78217&v=1

Oh! These ones may be good for us. Thank you! Once we actually stop moving and have a way to have them shipped to us we will probably go with these 

What is your spare tire situation?

Will your spare fit on the rear?? If it does your OK. If it won't, the question is would 3 tires support the rear weight so that you can limp in to the next repair place.

With the correct tires (185R14C) several of us have limped over 100 mi to a repair center. We had the 5 bolt fronts and a proper 6 bolt 1 ton rear.

5 minutes ago, WME said:

Will your spare fit on the rear?? If it does your OK. If it won't, the question is would 3 tires support the rear weight so that you can limp in to the next repair place.

With the correct tires (185R14C) several of us have limped over 100 mi to a repair center. We had the 5 bolt fronts and a proper 6 bolt 1 ton rear.

I just wiggled under the rig to look at our rear shocks because the Dolphin is seemingly leaning toward the passenger side lol but while I was under there I looked or rather felt because I couldn’t see anything and I think it’s 6 lug with a never been used tire