solar setup... off-grid power

i set this system up so i can use microwave flatscreen etc...  without being plugged in or listening to/smelling and fueling up the generator.

450AH battery bank charged by a 500w panel controlled by an mttp grape solar controller. along with a 3kw inverter and an 80 amp smart converter to replace the 10 amp factort converter for quick charging when plugged in.

20200913_123232.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

20200503_170609.jpg

20201114_002649.jpg

Wow somebody who understands solar and what it really takes to run things.

Now you just need to do a solar powered A/C🤣

On 11/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, WME said:

Wow somebody who understands solar and what it really takes to run things.

Now you just need to do a solar powered A/C🤣

lol i would love an alternative to running generator for the ac...  fortunately i dont use the ac all that often.  to finish off the solar setup  i am getting ready to pull the trigger on lithium iron phosphate batteries which will hurt the wallet but WOW. what a weight, performance and longevity improvement!

Ive seen 2 working solar A/C set ups. One ran a household AC unit with 550AH of batteries and 900w of solar. The other ran a 13.5K btu Rv roof unit with  750AH of batteries and 1700w of solar. Both would power 1 hr of A/C after sundown and fully charge the batteries and run the A/C the next day.

I have also seen a Hybrid setup where they ran a Household A/C with a 1000w generator and a invertor/combiner with 150 AH of battery.

I've wondered if a hybrid car battery could be used instead of the very expensive lithium ion batteries available to RVers. Lots of them sitting around in junk yards and many on ebay for less than 500 bucks. Pretty sure one would fit in my generator compartment and it's already vented to the outside. Can't find power specs on them but they must have lots of it to run a car.

Linda S

On 11/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, carbon RV pilot said:

i set this system up so i can use microwave flatscreen etc...  without being plugged in or listening to/smelling and fueling up the generator.

450AH battery bank charged by a 500w panel controlled by an mttp grape solar controller. along with a 3kw inverter and an 80 amp smart converter to replace the 10 amp factort converter for quick charging when plugged in.

20200913_123232.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

20200503_170609.jpg

20201114_002649.jpg

And how much does all of that weight? Wants and needs I guess I can go indefinitely with a 100 watt portable panel and two group 24's. Propane tanks hold far more energy than a huge battery bank!  One thing to remember your 120 volt load discharges your batteries at a rate of 10 to 1. Better not be cloudy to long!

6 hours ago, WME said:

Ive seen 2 working solar A/C set ups. One ran a household AC unit with 550AH of batteries and 900w of solar. The other ran a 13.5K btu Rv roof unit with  750AH of batteries and 1700w of solar. Both would power 1 hr of A/C after sundown and fully charge the batteries and run the A/C the next day.

I have also seen a Hybrid setup where they ran a Household A/C with a 1000w generator and a invertor/combiner with 150 AH of battery.

interesting...

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I've wondered if a hybrid car battery could be used instead of the very expensive lithium ion batteries available to RVers. Lots of them sitting around in junk yards and many on ebay for less than 500 bucks. Pretty sure one would fit in my generator compartment and it's already vented to the outside. Can't find power specs on them but they must have lots of it to run a car.

Linda S

ive tried several different style/size batteries [except lithium] over the years and these deep cycle 6v batts have been by far the best performing for the heavy draw my system consumes when everything is on since the lead plates are much thicker for the deep power draw compared to starting or hybrid batteries and the thicker lead plates explain the considerable weight increase but also the performance increase.

Just now, Maineah said:

And how much does all of that weight? Wants and needs I guess I can go indefinitely with a 100 watt portable panel and two group 24's. Propane tanks hold far more energy than a huge battery bank!  One thing to remember your 120 volt load discharges your batteries at a rate of 10 to 1. Better not be cloudy to long!

yes its heavy batts are 60lbs each panel 15lbs etc...  but generator weighs almost that,  i dont have to feed this system anything but sunlight and its quiet as a mouse!  in a pinch [several cloudy days] i start the motor or run generator to get a quick charge!         just as a guage,   before i ever put the solar panel up i charged the batts and used them for 6hrs a day [ac120v= flat screen, computer 2 echo 7 smart screens [alexa] controlling many rv systems etc..  pluss 12v stereo system 10" screen w/android 2 amps and several other odds and ends. and it took about 5-6 days til voltage was 12.2 with no load!  i bought items as efficient as i could but as you said AC draws considerably more power than DC systems

3 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

They do Linda but they are Lipo batteries already and it's critical as to how they are wired. I'm guessing unless it's totalled they probably are beyond their expiration date. The only one I know of is Tesla with a single bank read big!