84 Sprint ( General RV Industries, pre-Nova Star) complete gut!

Well, I seem to have just purchased a rather rare 84 Sprint for dirt cheap. Luckily the engine runs rather well with 84k original miles and it seems to have the upgraded 6 lug rear axle. The rest...is a total shitshow. The sink/stove/fridge are all gone, save for the range hood, no dinette, I guess the "couch bed" is still there, toilet and shower are there, but most likely non-functional, etc. I have not really been able to find any pics of how the interior of this model was set up, save for this: http://www.toyotarvforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1984_golden-co-kitchen.jpg . I was intending on completely gutting the interior, but I'm having trouble finding info on how this particular model was constructed. Before I dig in I was hoping someone else may have some feedback. I don't want to start remove a bunch of stuff that supports the shell. It does appears to have some framing glassed into the roof. The wheel wells are just plywood now, but I can't image that was always the case...I'll let some pictures do the rest of the talking. Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.PNG

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by LittleHouseOnWheels
Update subject

• LittleHouseOnWheels changed the title to 84 Sprint (RV Industries, pre-Nova Star) complete gut advice

Well, I started tearing into the old girl. This build has some additional height in the middle with steel supports glassed in, but the walls seem to just be layers of plywood glued to the shell. The ceiling insulation was just foam wrapped in vinyl. I ripped out the ceiling wrap, over cab subfloor and one wheel well. Still a big mess, but sort of promising so far. 

PXL_20201108_235137349.jpg

PXL_20201108_235145146.jpg

PXL_20201108_235147523.jpg

I did a search for your model but coming up empty so hence the replies you not getting. I'd say this one takes the prize for the condition it's in, can't say I've seen worse. At best I would work a section at a time like the overhead bunk area and look at what others have done here. Ask questions here and I'm sure folks here will be glad to help, I will for sure.

Cheers!

Gary

Your rig was made by General RV which is the same company that made the Odyssey motorhomes. At some point they sold the mold to New Horizon which wasn't far from their San Bernardino factory. Your key to how it looked originally is already there. You have enough cabinets and more importantly the plumbing, wiring and the propane lines. That will tell you where stuff goes. I see on the left a vent that would have been a refrigerator vent so fridge sat on or near the floor there. Sink plumbing is obvious but seems odd. Drain too far from the vent line. Where are your propane lines. Pictures of outside would help identify where stuff was too. When tearing it down take pictures of all wiring and plumbing so you know how to get those things back together properly. Even little things like the dome lights can be a pain if you've torn all the wires out. Preserve essential stuff and build up around it.

Good luck

Linda S

Wow good luck if I saw that it would have become a one ton flatbed truck!

Fair enough! Worst case, the chassis/truck are worth what I paid for it easily.

I did a search for your model but coming up empty so hence the replies you not getting. I'd say this one takes the prize for the condition it's in, can't say I've seen worse. At best I would work a section at a time like the overhead bunk area and look at what others have done here. Ask questions here and I'm sure folks here will be glad to help, I will for sure.

Thanks! Hilariously, there was another local Dolphin that was in worse shape(more to tear out and blown engine), so this one seems like a "steal."

Preserve essential stuff and build up around it.

Good advice, thanks! There is a mess of wiring in back that I'm going to try my best to preserve. I'll take some exterior pics today. From what I can tell it had this layout(bathroom in back right corner):

1984_golden-co-kitchen.jpg

I say go for it and don't look back. I would love to take on a project like yours and there are others here too that have done it. It just takes patience and I see you already enjoy woodworking.

I know it will be beautiful when you complete it and I guarantee when finished that every time you drive it or just look at it in the driveway you are going to feel sooooo good and say to yourself "wow this is so cool what I have accomplished". 

Please keep us posted with pictures of your progress.

3 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

I say go for it and don't look back. I would love to take on a project like yours and there are others here too that have done it. It just takes patience and I see you already enjoy woodworking.

I know it will be beautiful when you complete it and I guarantee when finished that every time you drive it or just look at it in the driveway you are going to feel sooooo good and say to yourself "wow this is so cool what I have accomplished". 

Please keep us posted with pictures of your progress.

Your words of encouragement are much appreciated! We just finished a house remodel, so this seems small in comparison. I love woodworking and am confident in that aspect. The fiberglass/frame construction will be a learning process. I'll be sure to keep you all updated. My son wants to learn video editing, so we hope to start a YouTube channel soon! 

Look for Toyota wiring it is the neat stuff nicely tapped plug in connections etc the rest is coach wiring look for  a theme as to color the coach stuff is not standard generally it's black and white but don't count on it. Black like a house +, white neutral  (ground) there is no code so it's what the coach makers had on hand for color. Research LED lighting it will save you a ton of battery draw. I do carpentry with that I would start at the floor and work up weight is a factor that's way a lot of them have AL trusses for the roof and sides. Ripped 2X4's yields twice per board. 

• LittleHouseOnWheels changed the title to 84 Sprint ( General RV Industries, pre-Nova Star) complete gut!
  • 2 years later...

on August 4, 2021; LHOW's sold me his project. with another little one on the way, it was a bit too much. it has taken me 2 yrs to all but complete the project. (cab carpet & an exhaust piece) I removed the rest of the guts & was left with the chassis/engine part & the shell. so, she's been rebuilt from the frame up. she looks quite a bit differnet than the original Sprint. i've added solar & made her off-grid friendly.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg