I was doing a routine oil change on the camper yesterday and found the remnants of a C-clip in the oil as it drained. It still runs great but it is concerning. The engine had a lot of work done just before I bought it - cylinder heads rebuilt, water pump, timing belt etc. It has always run very well. If anyone has some thoughts where this may have come from I'd appreciate it! 

c clip in oil.jpg

That's odd Neil considering how small the drain hole is in these oil pans. How big is that large gasket piece?

Considering... did you doing anything else to the engine while the oil pan was under there. Could there have been loose gasket material lying about from the overhaul that fell in?

Cheers!

Gary

Edited by Gary_M

That's an "E" ring there is nothing in the engine that would use that, that I can think of. It looks like something that would be on throttle linkage. Probably dropped and lost forever probably when the valve cover was off.

19 hours ago, Gary_M said:

That's odd Neil considering how small the drain hole is in these oil pans. How big is that large gasket piece?

Considering... did you doing anything else to the engine while the oil pan was under there. Could there have been loose gasket material lying about from the overhaul that fell in?

Cheers!

Gary

Gary that is not gasket material, although I can see how it looks like  it. It is part of what I call a "C-clip" although Maineah may have the correct name: E-clip. Either way it should not have been in there!

19 hours ago, Maineah said:

That's an "E" ring there is nothing in the engine that would use that, that I can think of. It looks like something that would be on throttle linkage. Probably dropped and lost forever probably when the valve cover was off.

I couldn't think of a likely place it came from either, other than a careless drop, but I have not been inside a 3VZ motor. I hope not to be any time soon. Anyway it's running well so I'm going to put it on the list of stuff I don't need to worry about. Got enough on that list already!

Drive more worry less! The retainer is small enough to fit through a drain plug. The V6 had issues there is no doubt that someone has been there before after all these years.