1980 Sunrader workshop manual?

rowan

Hi all! I’m new here.

I just bought an ‘80 Sunrader and I’m having all sorts of trouble finding a manual or any sort of relevant info. The thing is a frankenstein for sure. It’s a flatbed conversion, with a non-dually 5-lug rear. Got a 21r with 70k which I believe was swapped in in the early 2000s. 

My plan is to rebuild the flatbed and build a hoop house on top (bent wood battens sheathed in ply and fiberglassed). I’ll bend up some steel sheet for a doghouse over the cab and weld it to the roof. The idea is to have a pass through work van! 

Right now I’m doing little maintenance things, working on deleting all emissions and most vac lines, and I have a new Weber carb on the way. I’m wary of going any further with the improvements until I have a factory service manual though. Any resources would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rowan

39C7C751-D701-49A5-9DE2-C365535E1A50.jpeg

088D3744-0B3D-4099-BB3D-D4D19921E03E.jpeg

Basically what you have is a Toyota pickup. If you can’t find a FSM, Haynes or Chiltons will work. I like Haynes because it provides electrical diagrams at the back of the book.

Don’t think of it as a sunrader , that part is long gone.🙂

Edited by fred heath

Thanks Fred, I appreciate your reply. Wasn’t really sure if Sunraders were built on a different chassis than a regular PU (besides extended bed), but your answer clears it up.

I was a bit wary of buying haynes or chiltons because I consulted both of them for my 91 camry and the wiring diagrams were different between the two editions. But if it’s worked for you I’m just gonna go for it!

12 hours ago, rowan said:

Thanks Fred, I appreciate your reply. Wasn’t really sure if Sunraders were built on a different chassis than a regular PU (besides extended bed), but your answer clears it up.

I was a bit wary of buying haynes or chiltons because I consulted both of them for my 91 camry and the wiring diagrams were different between the two editions. But if it’s worked for you I’m just gonna go for it!

I’ve found Haynes to be very accurate. For the longest time Chiltons didn’t include wiring diagrams. Must be something new.

If your truck was originally a motorhome, you probably have the 8” axle. Other than that everything is the same. The ID plate under the hood will give you this information. If it says GO82, it the 8” axle. I’ve attached my ID plate so you know what to look for.

035C83BA-5214-483D-B390-B828420F1FED.jpeg

Edited by fred heath