Suburban Furnace DD-17DSI

JessBarb

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement ignitor for the above furnace? The OEM one is discontinued. I fabricated one from one I had ordered, and the old one, by brazing the electrodes on the new one. It will fire the burner, but it goes out after a couple seconds. I'm thinking the resistance is wrong, so the control board doesn't think the burner is lit. I replaced the control board, also. I attached a pic of the old ignitor. 

20200912_164315.jpg

I've searched for quite a while today but both possible part numbers that would fit are obsolete and I can't find and vintage parts either. I'm wondering what part did you buy to try to replace it. Part number?. 

Linda S

Part numbers that I could find

The igniter will show no resistance even if it's good it is an open circuit. It kinda looks like the electrodes are bent in towards one another. The gap of the two should be greater than the two pointing up that is where the arc should take place not on the long part of the rods. 

I've got the one I modified in it now. It will light the gas, it just won't stay lit. I really need the original one Suburban 231934. Can't find it. Yet.

That's probably the thermocouple then it's a probe that is right in the flame path it is heated by the flame and if it does not work it shuts the gas off.

The suburban master parts manual has diagrams and clearly shows the electrode for this furnace as a 3 prong. Your original looks like it only has 2 prongs. Did this furnace ever work in the time you've had it? The pilot version of this furnace is the only model that has a thermocouple which sounds like that is what that third prong is for. Part 230956 is for the closest models of Suburban furnaces that have electronic ignitions and it is still available

https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/143535455?gclid=CjwKCAjw_NX7BRA1EiwA2dpg0inv1_-yvmDH0c_0riCtXTHfdMPHvMZ_Yi0RBxmv0D-RU2ymbYFrShoCflAQAvD_BwE

Linda S

Yes, it did work. When it quit working was when the spark was jumping from then outside of the igniter to the metal, because of the broken ceramic on the probe. This is the one for the DD-17DSI furnace. But is obsolete. https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/suburban-furnace-model-dd-17dsi-tune-up-kit

• rs=w:600,h:600
  •  
  •  

Suburban Furnace Electrode Assembly 232784

$0.00
Required
Electrode / Electrode Gasket Option                         Electrode 232784 Only                   Add Electrode Gasket 071076 (+ $4.84)        
QTY

Just so you can see it, I found a Suburban parts list that shows a different electrode for your furnace

https://www.seavalue.com/catalogues/2019rvmaster-whsle/316/#zoom=z

There is one on eBay and it does show it as a 3 prong. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-231762-Electrode-NEW/122869918442?epid=19011673941&hash=item1c9b9e2aea:g:yHEAAOSw9mpaOZgM

Have no idea why the difference but thought you should see it.

Linda S

Thanks for your help. I never came across that electrode, that you found on E-Bay. That may work. I only have one wire going to the electrode. We'll see. Will let ya know.

I'm still a bit confused something has to tell this thing it's lit generally a probe right in the flame path. If it lights the spark part is working but something has to tell this thing the flame is going otherwise it will just continue let raw gas into the furnace. I think I understood it lit and then went out and that would point to thermocouple of some sort. The one with two insulated rods and a3rd ground would make sense to me because one would be a flame sense.  

Edited by Maineah

After reading through this thread, and viewing some of the technical docs... it is a confusing problem. The original electrode assembly, 232784, has a single insulated electrode and an adjacent metal "prong" which is just grounded through the mounting plate to the furnace chassis. The whole assembly is definitely a one-wire-connection-only to the control module board (see page 6, Fig. 10 of this document).

So, it's not the traditional thermocouple setup, with a separate connection that most of us are used to seeing. Instead, as mentioned on the top right of page 5, "...Electronic flame sensing circuitry in the ignitor detects the presence or absence of main burner flame."

All that ^ to say... a near exact replacement for the ignitor is going to be a must. Which you probably already knew, JessBarb! Hope you find one that works.

• 2 weeks later...

That is the furnace that is in my 1991 Warrior and it lost the exhaust on the trip home from the salvage yard where I purchased it.

I have put a lot of thought into needing this part  over the last two years (have not seen one for sale in passing) and right now is the point that this needs to work or do something else.

So here is the service manual : http://trekin.digital-digs.net/Share%20PDF/Furnace_Service_Manual.pdf

Then the install  manual: http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Suburban-DD-17DSI-Installation-Manual.pdf

Long story short I have looked around casually for this part for a few years and it does not readily present itself and it has  not been a problem since it is not needed\

SO I made my own

20201011_172859.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

It turns out, I am having the exact same issue. Broken ceramic on my electrode (Part 232784)

Like you mentioned, replacements are discontinued and the closest thing I can find is the 231931 model that you already mentioned.

Did you ever end up getting it to work? That may be my only option before replacing the heater. Seems like such a shame over a $20 part.

spacer.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice!  Could you show pictures, or describe if yours failed in the same place?  I have my Suburban out for a remodel, and may simply coat the entire insulator in epoxy to maintain its structural integrity before reinstalling.  Thanks in advance.