Dealing With Nighttime Temps Just Below Freezing

tstockma

We have a mid-October trip coming up to Ridgway State Park south of Montrose Colorado, right now temperatures are forecast at the start of the 10-day outing to dip into the 30s...on the first 2 days of the trip, no daily forecasts yet for further out.  I anticipate a few nights hitting oh maybe 30, and I'm not worried about 30 for a few hours.  Each day will warm into 60s, or 50s during any cooler days  However, in October there's always that chance of weather events, so we'll keep an eye on the forecast each day. 

Anyone have tips & tricks?  My thinking is, if we're forecast for a low of 28, I probably disconnect & drain the water hookup, possibly try to find a way to put blanket or foam around the low-point drains.  If we're under 25, possibly drain the system excepting the water tank...probably empty the waster water tanks.  (Assuming it's warming up during the day, instead of staying in the 30s.)  In somewhat more unusual events, where daily highs also plunge so we're not getting daytime warm-ups enough to help keep the water tank from freezing, drain that too.

Any other thoughts & recommendations?   What temperatures cause you to take preventative actions?  Thanks for your thoughts & experience!

If your in a campground heat tape works. If not then mix up a 50/50 mix of RV antifreeze and water and flush with that. A qt of straight antifreeze in an empty holding tank. Will protect the drain valves even as they fill up. At those temps it will take a long time for the fresh water tank to freeze. Just opening a few doors will protect it and the drains overnite.

FWIW we never hook up a city water hose. Just fill up the fresh water tank as needed, dont trust unknown water system pressure, even with a regulator yo

Edited by WME

I carry a small propane tank on the rear bumper box with a hole to run hose thru the power cord hole to a propane

heater by the kitchen stove to vent out the hood keeps everything  good in a 21 ft

Sunrader.

It's got to be below freezing for a few hours. Your out side water hose may freeze but nothing inside except yourself if you are warm enough so is the camper.

Thanks all - I like "if you're warm enough so is the camper" - furnace hasn't been used in oh 15 years I think, but we have the famed Mr Heater Buddy to knock off the chill when we get up - and a real small space heater if serious cold breaks out, since we'll have power.   BTW, this is a 21 foot New Horizon.

Good thoughts all the way around & for I especially will keep RV Antifreeze on the radar in case of surprises (heat tape - that's got real merit too, I'll reserve that for full retirement, when trips like this hopefully will be common for us). 

Edited by tstockma

Yeah exactly. I don't lie where we have a real winter but it does freeze occasionally at night. I have never winterized my water in my camper and there has never been any damage done. That said you get real winters where you are and days of freezing weather require winterization. 

Linda S

It seems that quite a few of you guys use Mr Buddy or some other small heater rather than the furnace.  Is there a reason why you don't just use the built in furnace?

Also the Buddy means I can ignore that furnace - hadn't been used in years when I got the rig, rather than have to do anything about it, I can kick on the Buddy for 15 minutes & we're good.    But so far, I'm camping in warm weather, highs 70s-80s & lotsa sunshine.  

Yes, we'll replace this furnace in the next year or two, especially once I retire & we make some fishing trips high in these Colorado Rockies, esp where spring & early summer can easily see a week of rain & cold. 

You can buy a programmable thermostat with time settings they will work fine on a camper heater. Just set it to keep you comfortable and asleep.