I had a blowout on one of my rear tires this summer and had to buy an almost correct C rated new non-matching tire, mount it and install.  (My antique old spare was on a 5 lug rim.)

Then I, once home, bought six new D rated tires and am ok now.  

My Sunrader has the 6 lug rears and 5 lug fronts. 

So, now I have all new tires and an unmounted new non-matching "C" spare also. 

We have over 3,000 miles on our Sunrader since June.  Today I turn 79.  I plan to call Good Sam in the event of another flat. 

(I had had AAA until the flat.  They were totally worthless when I asked to help on the road.)

It seems that most of the ToyHome flats I hear of are on the rear so the question is:

Should I mount the new C tire (that I bought on the road) on the 5 lug rim, or carry it unmounted??

I'd mount it on a wheel that can go on the front - I'd think your spare is already set up for that, unless it's missing.  You can drive on just three tires on the rear for a good long while, just take it a bit easy - you can't do anything if a front goes out.   We got our rig from my dad a year ago, with 17 year old tires - our first action was 7 new tires including the spare.

Edited by tstockma

Three choices...

1.Press on with the current getup. $

2.Contact C&C wheels and get a 5/6 adapter and a 6 bolt rim. Mount good tire on rim. Get a rear flat, just change it out. Get a front flat, bolt on the adapter and the spare tire.$$$

3. Buy 2 adapters and 3 6 bolt rims and be like the new coaches.$$$$$.

I've done all three. Had a flat on the rear and did the 3 legged cow thing for 100 mi.  For the next 3 years I did #2. For the last 2 years I did #3, then I had my second flat also on the rear, it was a non event with the right jack, and tools.

😟MAJOR suggestion for all newbies. On a clean level spot at home practice changing your front and rear tires.  If you find yourself missing something important, just go to your local store and get it. When you find yourself missing something important and your 100mi from a city at night on a rain soaked road, important things are hard to find.

https://www.customandcommercialwheel.com/

Edited by WME

This is useful and sensible advice.  What jack do you recommend, and are different jacks used with different makes?  Still looking for the rv, may as well know if I can expect that it should come with it's own, specific jack.  Thanks.

• 4 months later...

WME, thanks for the suggestions.  I am fortunate to have a spare 6 lug wheel and am going with your suggestion #2.  I contacted C&C Wheel and talked to a nice lady (Susan) who tells me that the 5 to 6 lug aluminum adapter will be $198 plus shipping.  (Unfortunately the fellow that makes them up is out sick right now.)  

38 minutes ago, Royal said:

WME, thanks for the suggestions.  I am fortunate to have a spare 6 lug wheel and am going with your suggestion #2.  I contacted C&C Wheel and talked to a nice lady (Susan) who tells me that the 5 to 6 lug aluminum adapter will be $198 plus shipping.  (Unfortunately the fellow that makes them up is out sick right now.)  

Be sure to check your fender clearance with the adapter in place. Most aluminum adapters add 2” to each front hub. Your 6 bolt spare may also have an unusual offset that could affect clearance. I carry two spares for this very reason. Not a lot of clearance on those front fenders. Adapters are usually non returnable. Could be an expensive exercise if it doesn’t work.

Personally, keep the new tire as backup. Or if you have a 5 lug spare tire, mount it on the 5 lug rim.

Edited by fred heath

Fred, I suppose that I should have said that the spare 6 lug wheel that I have was from a dually Sunrader so it should compensate for the 2" buildout of the adapter on the front.  Yes???

27 minutes ago, Royal said:

Fred, I suppose that I should have said that the spare 6 lug wheel that I have was from a dually Sunrader so it should compensate for the 2" buildout of the adapter on the front.  Yes???

27 minutes ago, Royal said:

Not necessarily. The later homes that came with the ff axle and 6 lug front wheels uses a different hub system. Made to accommodate the 6 lug wheel with the proper offset. The older 5 lug hubs leave little room for adjustment. Your wheel and tire need to fit completely inside the fender. I have 8 lug wheels on the back of my rig. I carry (1) 8 lug and (1) 5 lug for the front as spares. The 5 to 8 lug adapter pushes the wheel out too far, so useless to me.

I would much rather carry just one spare for both axles but can’t do it in this case.

You can try it with the adapters but if it doesn’t work, you won’t be able to return them for a refund.

The Toyota factory 6 bolt dually rim has a huge off set. The factory front hubs have a 6/6 adapter that is sized to let the dually rim center the tire. There is a unicorn factory 5/6 adapter.

I used the C&C adapter on my own rig and with a 6 hand hold rim, it fit perfect.