Looking for your 2 cents on fix/sell/donate 90 V6

okn

I have a 90 Dolphin V6 33K miles.  Interior is fine, minor previous leaks, everything works, same issues as most, but the motor has been getting hot. Never in the red, but up to the red 😞.  I've had to drive with the heater blasting (middle of summer) just to make it home.  I've been trying to flush the radiator, probably 20 times now, and it will still come out brown, which leads me to think the head gasket might be blown.  I don't see milky oil, white smoke, or anything.  I'm a DIY guy but HATE engines.  Anyway the whole thing has got me feeling like just getting rid of it because the family would rather stay at a hotel/resort than use the the RV to camp.  It's just where I am in my life right now.  Fix it... Sell it as is... or Donate it?    Your 2 cents would be appreciated.  I'm just really frustrated and need some advice from somebody in the know who isn't.  BTW - wife says donate it.

UPDATE:  After flushing it probably 20 times over the last two weeks,including using flushing agent two times, I filled it antifreeze today.  It idled fine.  I took it for a spin.  Got about 1 mile and it started to overheat.  Something new this time.  I jammed the heater on high and it didn't blow hot... I'm guessing a blockage.  This has never happened before.

Edited by okn
Update

5 hours ago, okn said:

I have a 90 Dolphin V6 33K miles.  Interior is fine, minor previous leaks, everything works, same issues as most, but the motor has been getting hot. Never in the red, but up to the red 😞.  I've had to drive with the heater blasting (middle of summer) just to make it home.  I've been trying to flush the radiator, probably 20 times now, and it will still come out brown, which leads me to think the head gasket might be blown.  I don't see milky oil, white smoke, or anything.  I'm a DIY guy but HATE engines.  Anyway the whole thing has got me feeling like just getting rid of it because the family would rather stay at a hotel/resort than use the the RV to camp.  It's just where I am in my life right now.  Fix it... Sell it as is... or Donate it?    Your 2 cents would be appreciated.  I'm just really frustrated and need some advice from somebody in the know who isn't.  BTW - wife says donate it.

UPDATE:  After flushing it probably 20 times over the last two weeks,including using flushing agent two times, I filled it antifreeze today.  It idled fine.  I took it for a spin.  Got about 1 mile and it started to overheat.  Something new this time.  I jammed the heater on high and it didn't blow hot... I'm guessing a blockage.  This has never happened before.

there are plenty of people that are “mechanically capable” that would gladly rip that motor out and swap another in, or rebuild that one, and be on their happy way. You’ve probably got a shot head gasket and warped heads. You may be donating something worth an easy few grand in as-is condition. 

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

37 minutes ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

there are plenty of people that are “mechanically capable” that would gladly rip that motor out and swap another in, or rebuild that one, and be on their happy way. You’ve probably got a shot head gasket and a warped heads. You may be donating something worth an easy few grand in as-is condition. 

What he said about the 2K$$

A compression check and a leak down check would tell you a lot and may change the value a bunch.

If you choose to donate (if I weren't going to fix the rig, I would sell it, as it's worth some cash) then Habitat For Humanity might be a good choice.  Brother-in-law watched his dad donate a big nice one that sat unused for 12 years including some leaks through cracked overhead events into the interior, lots of things didn't work anymore.  Habitat flew in a retired husband-n-wife team who as their contribution, fixed it up & had it on the premier Bozeman RV dealer in about a week, fully functional & looking great.  Habitat flew them back out & on to the next. 

I can't say whether Habitat would do the same for your low-mileage Dolphin, but if the rig's in great shape except for the engine, I wouldn't be surprised.  Or, they'll find a buyer or an auction service, and it'll end up with someone who will swap that engine in.

Luck...