Problem...1992 power steering belt too loose...

seems no matter what I do this belt wont tighten up enough..I changed it recently with what the auto parts shop gave me, tightened as per proper procedure and now after a few thousand miles it seems stretched somehow???..the pump butts up against the engine and does not allow me to tighten the adjustment further???? I am wondering it I can get a slightly smaller belt??? any ideas????............THANKS

Had this same, ongoing problem, using a non OEM belt on my V6 Warrior. The auto parts stores tend to have close-enough belt options that aren’t always... close enough. 

I did some careful measurements and then picked up a Duralast 17480 v-belt from AutoZone: it’s a great fit and can be properly tightened. 

I thought I would avoid fitment issues and went with the actual toyota part "Toyota 90916-02196 V-Belt"  lol....which is the one I am having the issues with now....

Edited by LittleShack

This rings a bell,  someone, not me was having an issue with the V6 PS pump belt. I would never miss something that simple!     One of those you gotta be kidding me moments and hope no one was looking. 

Try moving the pump away from the block,  I think that was it?? 

thanks for the ideas....the belt is marked with toyota and the part # and moving the pump away further loosens the belt but again thx for the input...all i can think of is a smaller size belt  but even a wider one would help

Is there a fan belt routing decal on the hood? May be you have the belt misrouted. Every thing I've worked on there is ether a separate tension adjuster or the pump, alternator, ac compressor moves away from the engine.

Remove the belt measure the full size all the way around yeah it's a little hard I usually cut them and measure go to the parts store and buy one an inch shorter the belt numbers should match the length.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, LittleShack said:

thanks for the ideas....the belt is marked with toyota and the part # and moving the pump away further loosens the belt but again thx for the input...all i can think of is a smaller size belt  but even a wider one would help

Darn your right!   second time in this century I have been wrong.    I had to push the pump away from the block to get the new belt on!   Went through a few belts.  Now have a NAPA Premium XL  25-9480 that fit.  Not a lot of adjustment there, almost like the pump pulley is the wrong size!