Pop up on our Chinook popped up while driving!

Chinook

The pop up on our 1976 Toyota Chinook popped up while driving! We still have our roof, thank god, but our straps are completely torn off. The corners of the canvas and on some sides have become unsealed. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations to prevent air flow into the top... sealant for the sides?? A temporary but reliable fix as we are on the road until the end of the month. Also, we have intentions of eventually taking the roof off during restoration... so it can't be damaging to the canvas. 

I am going to try to get a handheld sewing machine and durable nylon to fix the straps. That'll leave us with 5 straps versus 7... Hopefully it'll work. 
Thanks for the tips!

Ripped canvas can be repaired with a canvas patch and shoe goo. Cover patch completely and press into place hopefully with someone on the other side for opposing force. Let dry overnight. Don't know where you are but some big Walmarts have fabric or look for JoAnn's fabric. Can't find a fabric store lots of places have patches to repair clothes like jeans. If it ripped away from the shell your going to have to post a close up pic. I think the Chinooks had rope sown into the canvas that runs in a groove in the top but not sure. If I can see it maybe I can come up with some ideas. 

Hand held sewing machine is NOT going to work for nylon straps. Use upholstery needles and a thimble or piece of something hard to push it through. How are you going to attach them to the shell? Also sew with fishing line. 40lb test will hold very nicely. 

The best thing to do would be just to tie your roof down until you get home. No standing allowed. Just looked at a Chinook online. Your going to have to tie with big hooks to hook under shell in front and back. Racheting clamps would work but the rachet part would be banging around in the wind. Rope and S hooks looks to be the best way to me

Linda S