ECT button V6?

Badgerbear

When I first got the 89 V6 Dolphin the ECT button on the dash worked, but has since stopped lighting up or doing anything when pressed.  What is this for and how do i fix it?  I've checked fuses, but could have missed something.

I copied and pasted the following from Answers.com:

"ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. When you push the button in, there should be a light on the dash that says "ECT POWER". This changes the normal shift times (based on engine vacuum, rpm, and throttle position) to a later point. This means simply that the engine rpms will go higher before shifting to a higher gear when you're accelerating. It helps build speed more quickly but uses more gas to do so."

So maybe next time you drive it you can press the button and see if it affects your shifting and maybe the indicator light is just out.

Yes when I first got the dolphin, I would press the button when I was going to climb a hill and a light would come on that said ECT power and I noticed it would affect the RPMs and shifting. For the last couple years when you press it no lights come on and there is no difference and shifting or RPMs.   Thanks for doing some digging on that for me!

34 minutes ago, Badgerbear said:

Great, thank you!  

Can any V6 owners comment on how they use or don't use this ECT button?  

With the weight of these rigs I kept mine on pretty much the entire drive. The increase in RPM helps the rig get up and going! 

I almost never use ECT in the Warrior, since it puts a pretty good dent in my mileage (although the extra vroom is fun!). I guess if I were in the mountains often, it might come in handy. As it is, on pretty much any incline, I just reach up and switch OD off; does the job for me.

15 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

With the weight of these rigs I kept mine on pretty much the entire drive. The increase in RPM helps the rig get up and going! 

I also use it almost always. My OD Off/on does not work though, so it helps the kick down when in the mountains. yeah, fuel economy sucks, but it sucks either way. just happy I have a little house on wheels