Hot Water Heater on Overdrive

Camping a few nights in a state park and noticed the WH was generating VERY hot water last night; shut it down and hit the sack. 

This morning, turned its thermo way down and used it for some quick showers and all seemed fine; checked it again later and saw serious soot marks, etc! Appears that a small index card with instructions I had put in there a few years back was incinerating. Shut it all down immediately (for good). 

Never experienced this kind of trouble with the unit; normally it’s just slow to start. What’s likely the cause? (Door WAS replaced recently but nothing else...)

6E24BE9B-B6BB-4015-AE86-30FC754E5242.jpeg

Well that kind of points to the temp control thinks the tank is cold when it's not full speed ahead.

Looks like the temp control is the whole unit with the dial. Over a hundred bucks. Here are some really good deals on new

If you'd like an auto ignition one this is the best price I've ever seen. Way less than the cost of a pilot model

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Suburban-SW6D-Porcelain-Lined-Steel-Tank-Water-Heater-6-gal_p_28453.html

Only 12 bucks shipping

Linda S

Thanks for the link, Linda. That is a very good deal on a new WH, although I don't think it matches my cutout dimensions.

Did a little more troubleshooting/testing at home this morning with my existing unit. Lots of gunk/crud around the pilot light and burner tube, which I completely disassembled and cleaned up thoroughly. Also discovered that pushing the temp lever to the left on the control valve calls for HOTTER water, when I assumed it would be the other way around (label was long gone, invisible). Verified this info in the manual; now I know and marked it clearly with sharpie.

With the temp setting in the middle, I lit the pilot and then started the burner. Kept an eye on it for about 10 min, until the main burner shut itself off... partially. There was no longer a roar of blue flame, but there was a small orange flame that continued to burn, all the way down the length of the burner tube (the small L-shaped pipe). Watched it for a few more minutes, then shut it all back down.

So, it's obvious that the pilot light should always stay on, but why would there be combustion still happening inside the burner tube? Control valve not shutting the flow off completely?

Thanks, came across that myself. Good deals at that place; just put one on order.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty straightforward repair. Getting old valve out is the hard part; heat/torch helps as usual. Have to fiddle with the valve rotation a bit to get good alignment with gas line and burner tube. Spray connections w/soapy water for leak test: don’t want any bubbling... 

Tested new valve twice and got a nice, clear “click” when it reached set point, and it’s definitely shutting off the burner completely, unlike before. Peace of mind!

4B3E0F22-C6B7-44D0-AABE-65B02439379E.jpeg

Yikes is right. But I shut down the tank tight, ran the kitchen range until it went out, disconnected the flare fitting from valve inlet and let it all sit a long time before attempting removal. No problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow-up on the topic of propane for the non-experts (like me) out there:

While finishing my water heater repair, I discovered that my 91 Warrior has a handy little gauge plumbed into the main propane line, right inside the exterior fridge-access panel (is that standard practice, dunno?). Anyway, if you open up your propane tank valve for a few seconds and allow it to pressurize the system, then close the valve down tightly, the gauge should remain very steady for several minutes... if it doesn't and visibly falls off in a few minutes times, you know you've got a leak somewhere in the system. Good practice to do this test once a year—or much sooner, if you're getting whiffs of propane when you shouldn't!