‘88 sunrader conversion needs new lock

Tundrader

I have an ‘88 sunrader on a ‘07 tundra cab and chassis, with the original camper door lock... I have “fixed” it a few times but I think it has finally kicked the bucket and the camper doesn’t tend to stay locked easily... I want to upgrade the door lock system and wondered if anyone has had any luck with these things :

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/maintenance-hardware/rv-locks-handles-storage-hardware/door-knobs-locks/door-locks/lock-rv-motor-home-entrance_31-8078

looks to be the same shape as the hole, would obviously need to cut a hole in the fibreglass for the deadbolt to slip through, and another to receive the deadbolt, but I am willing to do so if it means I can toss this original... any help would be much appreciated 

*update* - if anyone in Canada (or the US) is looking for one of these, I just found a place that supplies them, looks identical to the original... should have almost bought 2 haha https://www.reflectwindow.com/products/mobile-home-or-r-v-door-lock

-Toni 

ED9EDC5C-2F98-4233-BDA0-BFB3620CF07E.jpeg

85D19F29-7300-4C49-BC32-C5337EE32229.jpeg

Edited by Tundrader

I am in shock. I didn't think I'd ever see a lock like ours again. I don't even need one but I'm going to buy one anyway just to see if it's the same. I think the issue with the bargman is that it's too small for the hole in your door. The original locks were made by Trimark and I'm pretty sure they make a newer style about the same outside size. Been a while I don't remember the model but Make sure where ever your shopping has complete dimensions listed. Filling a hole gap is useless work if you can find something big enough. Much easier to cut a little out than try to put some back and have it be strong. Yes you will have to add a wood piece to attach the strike plate but I have seen others do it and came out nice. Your truck is amazing so I'm thinking you can pretty much handle anything. Trimark RV door lock is what to search for

Crap that looks like a really good fit. Now I have to buy a Tundra. Double crap

Linda S

33 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well it's official. The Sunrader lock Tundrader found is an exact match to the original. Really glad I spent the money just to find out. All Sunrader owners should save the link to reflect window just in case

Linda S

that’s awesome!!!

It’s amazing! Rock solid again! Super happy I googled “rectangular Rv door lock” after 1 year of searching for used sunrader locks 😂

Amazing Tundrader, this is a historical SunRader parts discovery!!

It's possible to retrofit a Bargman style lockset, but it's a too-long and complex mod with too much work with this assembly now available. I will say for the fortunate one's able to take advantage of this new development, that while the old lock is out, it's a good time to address the possible problem of previous owners over-tightening the mounting screws and crushing the door in that lock area. (Problem shown below) Eventually, the PO of my rig crushed the foam core in the door around the lock, bottomed out the screws and stripped one of them. Gluing a correct thickness wood blocking in the core of the door will correct the thickness problem, make for a more solid door and lock mounting. Second picture below shows mid-modification with 2"x 4" block trimmed and glued in to reinforce window corner as well as lock area and some other fiberglass repair underway.  Note also the all-too-common window over-cut being corrected as well...    Musta been after the lunchtime beer break. :clown2: 

Congratulations, great find, well done.

TG

Sinking handle-small.JPG

Small Blocking.JPG

Thanks you Tundrader. Great find.
On another note: is there a link somewhere here on how you put your 88 onto your Tundra? Did you do this conversion?
EDIT: I took a trip through your insta page and got a good look from beginning to now. Nice project.
Really looks nice.

Edited by canadasunrader
slow

I don’t but if you go to my Instagram and scroll back to the beginning it has all of the steps documented fairly well, @tundrader on Instagram or Instagram.com/tundrader . My engineer friend had a lot to do with the mounting, I would have been screwed without him, western Edison for anyone who is looking for a Toyota nerd with a CNC machine and a pile of other toys, he makes Toyota components under the name Green Lane (@greenlaneoffroad on Instagram) 

best

toni

• 2 years later...

Hello Guys,

The previous owner installed a cabinet lock on this Sunrader i bought and wanted to replace it with atleast an original replacement without cutting or drilling on the door.

Came across this Forum regarding the door latch lock. I tried going through the website to purchase and i could not locate the same exact one. please send me a link or if you have and extra one you want to sell please contact me i really appreciate your help.

Cynarmagno@gmail.com

There was a place in Canada that had a few old stock they found somewhere. As soon as the link posted they all sold out in days.

None of those locks have been made in many years. Doing the work on your door to fit a conventional RV lock is your only option.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...