Hi all, 

I hope all of you have been well. 

I have a question. I just ordered a set of gauges. one being a Trans Temp gauge . I started thinking do you install the sending unit (sensor) prior to the cool or after? and then i thought why not both. anyone know if i can wire up two sending units (sensors) one when the fluid leaves the trans and another where the fluid enters the trans. then running the signal wire to a 3 way toggle switch and toggle from the in and out seeing both temps when needed on the one gauge. 

anyone ever heard of doing that?

Maybe i should have posted this in electrical ?

Sounds like we have a similar fetish.  I am a nuclear engineer of "the more gauges the better" ilk.  ...and my son is an airline pilot.  We loves our gauges.  

But since attending gauges anonymous meetings, I have almost gone cold turkey.  

My 85 Sunrader with a 22re auto has a "transmission overheat" light.  Is this unusual??

(I was joshing about cold turkey:  I have installed a tachometer, cab voltage, and a coach voltage gauge.  And an oil pressure gauge and alternator amp gauge are on my workbench ready for the rain to quit.)   

I have a overheat light, but i don't think my 85/86 actually has a bulb to even light up. it never has lit up. But yes id like to know the  actual degrees 

The overheat light sender is under the passenger floor.  It is a conductive pickup which is flat against one of the trans cooling lines.  I tested mine with a cigarette lighter.  ...works (but I don't know what temp)

ill have to take another look at this. ill be going under the rig pretty soon. any idea if you can you a switch to switch between 2 senders?

1 hour ago, 86Dolphino said:

Hi all, 

I have a question. I just ordered a set of gauges. one being a Trans Temp gauge . I started thinking do you install the sending unit (sensor) prior to the cool or after? and then i thought why not both. anyone know if i can wire up two sending units (sensors) one when the fluid leaves the trans and another where the fluid enters the trans. then running the signal wire to a 3 way toggle switch and toggle from the in and out seeing both temps when needed on the one gauge. 

anyone ever heard of doing that?

What you want to do is simple to do.  Switch the lead from the sensor that goes to the gauge. 

Question ?? Why?? You are concerned what the max temp of the fluid is, that's where the max damage done. Just but the sensor in the hottest line.

If you still plan this put one sensor in the hot line and the other in the pan

In the case of a toy home it would be best to monitor the return so you can deal with the reason it's so hot like manually downshift.  Using both, SPDT switch and 2 sensors.

• 1 month later...

well folks. I got my gauges installed. it turned out to be a giant PAIN IN THE behind. and i'm still sore over it. When i went to pull off my thermostat housing the bolt broke. :/ then i went to drill out the bolt and the drill bit snapped, leaving me basically screwed. I had to order a new lower intake. the first lower intake i got wasn't the same. it was missing a port of some sort of Tempt switch. So i ordered a second lower intake and this one was correct. since i had it all apart I figured i might as well clean is all up and paint it. I also figured since i got the fuel rail off i night as well get new injectors. I went with LC Engineering, original Toyota  flow matched injectors. so new gaskets and i got it all back together. i was able to install the rest of the gauges pretty easy. the Trans Temp gauge i did go with 2 sending unites ran to a switch and it works good and its nice to know whats coming out and whats going in (temp wise) but i have ran into a hiccup.

its happened 3 times now since the job has been done. 

the 1st drive after the work, it drove fine. maybe went 5 to 10 miles. 

the 2nd drive after about 8 miles i had to stop for the road work for about 4 min when i went to take off my rig started backfiring out the intake and lots of hesitation. it lasted about 5 to 10 seconds then ran fine. 

the 3rd drive ( the next day on my lunch) I took it for a ride to try and recreate the problem but it ran great not issues lots of power perfect run.

the 4th drive (that same night) I couldn't even make it out of my driveway from the moment i fired it up ran like poo backfiring full of hesitation. I shut it off for the night. 

the 5th, 6th and 7th drive now it has ran perfect and hasn't done it anymore, but now i'm a little spooked about taking it on the road for a serious trip. I hate to be 150 miles from home and break down.  

I've double checked my vac lines all seem good and in place with tight connections, my plug wire are almost new same with plugs within the last year. MY TPS ohms out ok. I just don't understand how it can run like a champ one moment then run like its damn near dead the next. 

I was wondering maybe air in the fuel rail that had to work its way out? because like i said i've gone about 40 miles now and its run great. stop and go traffic, up hill, down hill open road you name it. 

went for another 20 mile ride yesterday evening and the rig ran great again no issues. At this point im going to say it was air in the fuel line/rail or maybe one of the connectors to the TPS or injector something was wet not making a good connection. Im keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't ever happen again.