Is this the right camper for us?

Slowpoke

We are thinking of getting a Toyota camper, and was wondering if it will it our needs (my wife, me and our 2 boys).

We plan on using it not so much for camping, but as a place for eating, storing gear, recharging camera batteries, and taking a nap when we are out sightseeing. Our idea is a rear dinette model (so the boys can watch tv in the back while I drive, or the wife and or boys can nap on the way home), 22r engine with a 5 speed (fuel economy), and no longer than 21ft (easy to turn in a parking lot). Where we live in Texas is almost 100% flat, so hills aren't a problem. We are moving up from a VW bus camper, so we are used to a cramped space.

We would definatly need a roof a/c and a generator. What can I expect for fuel milage? Did they come from the factory with a generator? What size tires came standard? Other than avoiding the 1/2 ton axel models, are there any others to avoid or look for?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Stepping us from a VW a Toy is going to seem like a palace.

5-sp are hard to find, but are out there. A 4sp is more common in the pre 85 units.

Most folks with the auto don't use the O/D so a 4sp is about the same as far as rpm down the road.

In reality a auto is fine for where you are, it will go down the road at 60 with no problem. Just add a trannie cooler, Toyota did just that on the V-6 and there is very little trannie problems with the V-6.

The read dinner will have a small side bath, but the rear makes into a queen bed.

A rear bath is much bigger, some have captian chairs with a folder table and other have the dinette. Both have a side couch that makes in to a small bed, the side dinette will also make a bed.

Just wait for the right one and don't rush. AS important as the rear end is NO water leaks or damage and that everything works. If you are handy with tools and things the choices are more and cheaper. You can't save enough when buying one to have a pro do major repairs.

Many came with generators, Onans are better than Kolers as Koler is out of the RV business. The Onan 2800 micolite is about the best within its size limits.

Good luck

Thanks for the info.

We would rather have the lager bed in back, than a larer bath.

We are debating between a Toyota camper or a larger Class C on a Dodge van chassis. We like the fuel economy of the Toyota, but we are wondering if it would be enough room for the 4 of us.

Fixing it up would be no problem, as I have repaired a few campers in the past.

I think floor plan is the deciding factor. We have a 18 foot Sunrader, the view out the back can be spectacular. An 18 footer though is small. My wife and I took some time before we learned how to not be in each others way. Still sometime one must wait for the other to move. The bath is really tiny.

The longer rigs 21 footers really have a lot more elbow room. My preference would still to have the dinette in the rear for the view. Rear dinnettes might have a larger table also but not sure. As far as there being enough room for four, take everyone along to do a test fit before you buy. Some are layed out well inside and offer a bunch of elbow room and others are cramped. Also Sunraders have a lower ceiling height then most, so thats a consideration if your 6ft plus.

Rear make up beds usually do not have the best cushions. If thats going to be your main bed then look into getting the foam replaced with posterpedic foam. Your first test night will make that decission for you.

Engine size does matter. Two more people and gear is substantial. I would stay away from the 4 cyl. and look for a V6 if your set on getting a toyota. Your gas mileage will be in the 12 to 16 mpg range.

sunsetwindow1.jpg

We are not too set on a Toyota for a camper. We are looking at it as a possibility. Having enough room is essential, as well as not overloading the chassis in the process. I also have thought of building my own using a school bus, but the length of a bus negates the benefits of having exactly what we want in the end.

With the damage that the hurricane caused in the neighboring states, we are also thinking of adding to our list, the ability of being self contained for a few days in case of a storm.

We want something small enough to be able to manouver in a parking lot, yet roomy enough for our needs. Our '77 VW camper was great, except it had no a/c, no bathroom, and could only sleep 2 when moving.

What is the output of the alternator on the V-6? Does the camper have 2 batteries (one for the engine, one for the camper)?

I really don't know how much the output of a V6 alternator is, probably 35 to 45 amps. There are aftermarket alternators in the 100 amp range. They all have two batteries.

We try to keep our rig ready at all times. We have the surprise of earthquakes and fire.

For sure keep the Toy full of fuel and propane. Add water in the event of a coming storm/disaster. We use ours like a life boat.

I think the Toys have a 60 amp alternator.