1985 Toyota Motorhome (Dolphin maybe?) Rear wheels

Hi all,

So I bought an 85 Toyota motorhome (might have been a dolphin but not sure, the shell was replaced and I don't see any markings...) and we're almost done fixing up the inside. OF COURSE, it was only after I bought it that I learned about the rear axle recall (d'oh!) So now I've got a sweet ride we'd like to take out but we're afraid to do so with the axle it currently has. Looking around local junkyards in Alaska, I found a rear axle from a 1992 (yay!) but he doesn't have the rims for it (boo!) and I'm learning that finding those 14" 6 on 7.25 dually rims is quite difficult...

Does anyone know where I can get a set of 5? I'd have to ship them here to Alaska, but I'm pretty invested already... Can my existing 14" tires be re-used? OR plan B is... I've been speaking to a local fabricator about putting in a different axle altogether.

If you were in my position what would you do and why??

Much appreciation and thanks in advance for any advice you have :D

~~Grant in Alaska

400a7f67-e3df-4ead-bba9-0cd58cee7f11.jpg

e9c1d535-a97a-4d9b-9661-460349cf7f20.jpg

0ef4be5a-3e5c-4603-a88c-1fa03a71761f.jpg

Edited by Grant Perry
pics

On 8/7/2020 at 8:28 PM, Grant Perry said:

Hi all,

So I bought an 85 Toyota motorhome (might have been a dolphin but not sure, the shell was replaced and I don't see any markings...) and we're almost done fixing up the inside. OF COURSE, it was only after I bought it that I learned about the rear axle recall (d'oh!) So now I've got a sweet ride we'd like to take out but we're afraid to do so with the axle it currently has. Looking around local junkyards in Alaska, I found a rear axle from a 1992 (yay!) but he doesn't have the rims for it (boo!) and I'm learning that finding those 14" 6 on 7.25 dually rims is quite difficult...

Does anyone know where I can get a set of 5? I'd have to ship them here to Alaska, but I'm pretty invested already... Can my existing 14" tires be re-used? OR plan B is... I've been speaking to a local fabricator about putting in a different axle altogether.

If you were in my position what would you do and why??

Much appreciation and thanks in advance for any advice you have :D

~~Grant in Alaska

400a7f67-e3df-4ead-bba9-0cd58cee7f11.jpg

e9c1d535-a97a-4d9b-9661-460349cf7f20.jpg

0ef4be5a-3e5c-4603-a88c-1fa03a71761f.jpg

That looks so nice!!  Very similar to my plans.  What did you do there on the back, the leaves?  It looks awesome, great job!

I don't think what you have is based on a Dolphin The only real clue that seems to remain are the stripes on the front fenders, which look original. They look familiar, but they aren't Dolphin.

Here's a 1984 Dolphin:-

image.png.b8fbb32f916367a5448268b09dd5efb6.png

1983 and 1985 stripes were identical.

Perhaps someone else will recognize yours.

On 8/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, AprilOstara said:

That looks so nice!!  Very similar to my plans.  What did you do there on the back, the leaves?  It looks awesome, great job!

It's wallpaper, I think it's a really nice touch my wife put in. And the lights are plain reading lights from Amazon but with 12v bulbs in em...