Black tank removal

Hello, new here, I recently got this lovely '85 Toyota Dolphin, 4cyl 22r-e with 68k miles. I'm seeking some septic advice...

We're planning to swap out our toilet for a compostable toilet (that we'll build ourselves) which renders our black tank useless. We are probably going to live out of this motorhome for about a year, so resale value is important. However, the black tank looks pretty ugly and dirty, it's gotta be the original from 35 years ago. Should we deinstall it? Is it easy for the unexperienced? It also had a pretty bad smell when we removed the toilet this morning. Previous owner cleaned it out but I think it just retains accumulated years of black tank habitation... if anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it!!! 

Also, if anyone reading this happens to know which Toyota headlight marker fits the Dolphin from 1985, please tell me. Someone else mentioned other trucks from '84-'86 will do (4runner maybe) but I'd love another opinion before I buy it.

I also have a mystery cable dangling under the rig (looks celebrational), thought I may as well include that - any ideas as to what it is?

Huge thanks in advance to any reading this far who can help shed some light on the varied topics mentioned...

UnderwaterVolcano

20200803_161515.jpg

Screenshot_20200807-155521_Gallery.jpg

I would ensure that your sink and shower (if you have one) doesn't also drain into the black tank. Resale... folks would prefer the black tank over compostable for the ease of dumping, having to dump the grey and compost separately is a hassle.

Keep the tank installed, it will make the redo easier. Don't rush, fill the tank full add some detergent and a double dose of water softener. .

Cover the toilet hole air tight and WAIT a few days.

Drain about 1/3 of the tank add 10lbs of ice, recover and go for a drive on a twisty road. The ice banging around will knock a lot of stuff lose. Drain completely and add a bottle of Simple Green.

The cable looks like a spliced broken emergency brake cable. Just follow it and replace it if a new one can be found.

Marker light...https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-84-85-86-4Runner-Pickup-Truck-Corner-Turn-Signal-Park-Light-Lamp-Set-Pair/184137284713?fits=Year%3A1985|Model%3APickup|Make%3AToyota&hash=item2adf6ffc69:g:WpIAAOSwf2ZeJ4EC

Edited by WME

18 minutes ago, WME said:

Keep the tank installed, it will make the redo easier. Don't rush, fill the tank full add some detergent and a double dose of water softener. .

Cover the toilet hole air tight and WAIT a few days.

Drain about 1/3 of the tank add 10lbs of ice, recover and go for a drive on a twisty road. The ice banging around will knock a lot of stuff lose. Drain completely and add a bottle of Simple Green.

The cable looks like a spliced broken emergency brake cable. Just follow it and replace it if a new one can be found.

Marker light...https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-84-85-86-4Runner-Pickup-Truck-Corner-Turn-Signal-Park-Light-Lamp-Set-Pair/184137284713?fits=Year%3A1985|Model%3APickup|Make%3AToyota&hash=item2adf6ffc69:g:WpIAAOSwf2ZeJ4EC

Thanks for the tips. Will debate with the wife, who insists on its removal. She hates the idea that there's fecal matter from the late 80s in there, ha.

Thank you for the ebay link. I found one for just the left,  it looks the same but can you confirm? God bless, WME 🙂

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Corner-Signal-Light-for-84-86-Toyota-4Runner-Pickup-2WD-Chrome-Driver-Left/313155951297?_trkparms=ispr=1&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

23 minutes ago, underwatervolcano said:

Gary M,

Is it typical for the sink and shower to drain into the black tank, or would that be a mod from a previous owner?

It is typical for some floor plans of Dolphin.

Open the toilet (step on the flush lever - the one that opens but does not run rinse water) and look down the stinky hole with a flashlight while running the bathroom sink or shower.  If it is plumbed there, then you will see the water motion.

Rear dinette model 1984 with bathroom behind the driver's seat... shower and vanity sink drained to blackwater tank.  

For dumping the tanks, it had two separate drain valves so you had to connect the drain hose (stinky slinky) twice to do the entire dump.

Kitchen sink drained to grey water.

The resale of the MH later may go better without the composting toilet mod.  Maybe save parts so you can change it back.  

FWIW a brand new never used toilet can be attractive to the next buyer.  Reinstalling the old one may only save $100.  Plastic toilets are inexpensive.

Edited by FredNewell

11 hours ago, FredNewell said:

It is typical for some floor plans of Dolphin.

Open the toilet (step on the flush lever - the one that opens but does not run rinse water) and look down the stinky hole with a flashlight while running the bathroom sink or shower.  If it is plumbed there, then you will see the water motion.

Rear dinette model 1984 with bathroom behind the driver's seat... shower and vanity sink drained to blackwater tank.  

For dumping the tanks, it had two separate drain valves so you had to connect the drain hose (stinky slinky) twice to do the entire dump.

Kitchen sink drained to grey water.

The resale of the MH later may go better without the composting toilet mod.  Maybe save parts so you can change it back.  

FWIW a brand new never used toilet can be attractive to the next buyer.  Reinstalling the old one may only save $100.  Plastic toilets are inexpensive.

Fred, thank you, I appreciate your insight. I don't have any water at all in it yet but once I do I'll reread your instructions and try it out!

Was definitely thinking to hold onto unused parts. I'd consider getting a new toilet when selling if the demand on these goes down... ha!