charging question

nucktaco

just picked up a 1991 Odyssey yesterday and ive got the manuals ive been going through for most items. one question regardings shore power. am i ok to plug in full time while its parked outside my house? 

the electrical panel has a red light that says if solid its charging, if rapid flashing its charged over 90%. i plugged it in last night, this morning was rapid flashing so over 90% which is good. 

should it have an auto shutoff though to stop from overcharging? 

this is my first motorhome so not 100% certain of everything yet. PFA. 

thanks,

Scott

rv.jpg

1 hour ago, nucktaco said:

just picked up a 1991 Odyssey yesterday and ive got the manuals ive been going through for most items. one question regardings shore power. am i ok to plug in full time while its parked outside my house? 

the electrical panel has a red light that says if solid its charging, if rapid flashing its charged over 90%. i plugged it in last night, this morning was rapid flashing so over 90% which is good. 

should it have an auto shutoff though to stop from overcharging? 

this is my first motorhome so not 100% certain of everything yet. PFA. 

thanks,

Scott

rv.jpg

Some RV's have "smart chargers" that lower charging voltage to a battery maintaining voltage to not hurt the battery once it's fully charged. Some old RVs did not have smart chargers and would cook the battery by overcharging it once it was charged. Look up the model number on your charger and check online to see if it's a smart charger. 

Very clean Odyssey by the way! 

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

Due to its age it probably does not have a "smart charger" One work around is a plug in timer for a couple of hours a day.

54 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Due to its age it probably does not have a "smart charger" One work around is a plug in timer for a couple of hours a day.

Yup, or simply upgrade to a smart charger. They're not too expensive these days. 

Thanks for the help guys. I looked up the model PD7231. Looks like it is supposed to shutoff once charged. At 29 years old not sure I trust it that much. 

like was suggested I think I’m going to upgrade the converter. Any suggestions? 

99436253-7724-402C-B091-F0694E6A9D70.jpeg

04A2BC0D-D1ED-47B0-9228-28ABEA04FA5A.jpeg

4223C7ED-E2EF-4F3B-BB50-055323A8166E.jpeg

Nope that's an old one. Little trick you'll need to do but I believe the new converter info will explain it.