Long Post, Sorry.

This is a call-out to everyone who knows anything about the 3.0. I have a 1993 Warrior that won't start. Here's the story, with as much info that I can give:

I bought this last year for what I thought was cheap money, because it wasn't running. The guy I bought it from was going to fix it and flip it for a lot more money, but he gave up trying to get it to run. Had it flatbed towed to a mechanic, who pecked away at it and finally got it running. It was frozen with mouse urine and poop; the only good thing is there is no evidence of mice in the coach, they just went for the engine, apparently. I drove home on secondary roads, so i never needed to get any speed. After a few days of cleaning and assessing what I had, I took the dogs and my wife for a ride (actually she drove the first half of our little spin, because we share the driving). We took the dogs to get them acclimated, because they are one reason I love the set up so much. Anyway, my wife said she had piss poor power, we could only get to 50 MPH downhill. I took over for the drive back(we only went about 5 miles total). Coming back was uphill, and I had my foot to the floor and could only get about 40 MPH. I was really pushing, I wanted to show her that it could do it, that I had made a good buy, I want her to like it as much as I do. Suddenly I felt the power just go out of it. No big bangs, just felt nothing under my foot, and the roaring died down to eventual silence. I coasted to the side of the road, and that was that. We let it sit for a bit, and I tried to start it, no go. It would turn over, but not start. I had it towed(flatbed) the next day. It was way too much to have it towed back to the first mechanic, so it went to the tow place, where they also do repairs, lift kits, etc. They cant get it to start, they think it needs an ECU. So that's the background; I will list all the pertinent stuff I can think of below.

Did I mention our 2.5 mile walk back home, in the dark, no streetlights, with 2 dogs using bungee cords as leashes, because it was a spur of the moment ride, neither one of us brought our phones - my wife didn't even bring her purse!

• Mechanic A did the following to get it running: Radiator, timing belt(s), water pump, intake plenum, New fuel injectors, new fuel filter.
  • Took gas tank (which was all corroded inside and we couldn't find an exact replacement), sent it out to be "boiled", lined the inside with some coating agent, and then reinstalled after letting it cure for several days.
  • "Freed up" and lubricated sending unit in gas tank, which was not working.

Now, this mechanic got it running, but never got the vacuum hoses right. It kept idling up and down, and he ended up leaving at least one hose disconnected. He also had a phantom electrical draw that he could never trace, so he put a quick disconnect on the battery post, so if it was going to sit for a few days, the battery would not drain. I was foolishly ok with this; I was happy that he had gotten it running; I didn't know then that disconnecting battery cleared any check engine light.  So when I picked it up, no CEL until I was 1/2 way home. Now, since it won't start, it can't run long enough for the CEL to come on, so they can't check for codes.

Other points to mention:

• As I said, terrible pick up, no HP.
  • I had to step on it just to get any movement at all, and it would hit passing gear very quickly each time I tried to get more power.
  • The engine was ROARING when we drove it, and I don't mean just with the pedal to the floor. It was loud! I don't mean the exhaust, I mean the sound from the engine compartment was so loud when we drove it, we had to yell to talk. When it was idling, it was whisper quiet.

I am on the verge of telling them to do an engine swap. I am disgusted, and don't want to just keep throwing parts at it. But if a new ECU will get it running, we can check the codes and fix the vacuum lines and power draw, I'm thinking it could be a good engine again. After all the work that was done, and it DID run, however briefly and weakly, I have some little bit of hope. What should I do? Keep trying or scrap it?

Any ideas out there? Why did it die and why won't it start? Could it be that "freed up" fuel sending unit? Could the power draw have back-fed and fried the ECU? Why was it so loud and low power?

I would appreciate any thoughts, I will share them with Mechanic B.

Thanks for reading🙂

Pat O

Disclaimer NOT A MECHANIC.  After hours on the net with some really good toy people and not able to fix a no start situation and being told numerous times it was not the ECU.  Out of desperation I sent the ECU  in for testing.  A week and $170 later, installed fixed ECU and fired right up.  Fortunately mine died in it's parking spot next to the house.

Rebuilt ECU are $$$$$$ should be able to find a place online that will test yours for you.  I did mine 4 years ago and no longer have info.   I was told that faults in the system can damage ECU, I do not know that to be a fact,  so tread carefully. 

Edited by jjrbus

Thanks, jj

I am ordering an ECU, get it put in, and then go from there. Writing that long diatribe actually helped me think things through. I researched the heck out of engine swaps, and it was too much - too much info, too many adapters, too involved. I want this rig up and running before the snow flies!

1 hour ago, Pat O said:

Thanks, jj

I am ordering an ECU, get it put in, and then go from there. Writing that long diatribe actually helped me think things through. I researched the heck out of engine swaps, and it was too much - too much info, too many adapters, too involved. I want this rig up and running before the snow flies!

Did you look into having yours tested?? 

Not a mechanic anymore, but when I was, I worked at Toyota. I've probably rebuilt 100  3VZE engines.

The rule of thumb was "it's never the computer"

The roaring noise-check your fan clutch, maybe it's locked up

the lack of power...

you gotta check all the basics first. wet and dry compression test. valve clearance, air boots, air flow meter, timing belt, distributor base timing, plug wires (original?, arcing? ), fuel pressure

Is the fuel filter plugged?

is the fuel pump working?

is there water in the fuel?

does it have a blown head gasket?

how many miles does the engine have?

you can check for codes with a jumper wire in the DLC under the hood

you can use the same jumper wire to power up the fuel pump

Thank you for the replies. You have really helped clarify my thoughts.

I am going to hold off on the ECU.

First thing Monday I am going to find the nearest Toyota Dealer that will take it for service, and have it towed there.

Edited by Pat O

I believe what you have there is a plugged up catalytic converter.  First check would be engine vacuum if it's low the cat is suspect, second loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust to the manifolds if I'm correct it will be noisy but your power will improve dremadicly. The invasion of rodents plays apart in this. 

7 minutes ago, Maineah said:

I believe what you have there is a plugged up catalytic converter.  First check would be engine vacuum if it's low the cat is suspect, second loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust to the manifolds if I'm correct it will be noisy but your power will improve dremadicly. The invasion of rodents plays apart in this. 

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to have all you folks as a resource. I'll be needing you when I get it up and running for coach issues, I'm sure.

I’ve had a clogged cat in the past on a different type of vehicle. If you ran the vehicle at night, the cat would eventually glow red. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the dealer is the right place to get this diagnosed.  Love Seabee's thoughts, I also thought "fuel", getting that gas tank serviced was real good.  Love the catalytic converter idea - it's even possible mice nested somewhere in the exhaust & have clogged it up.  I was also going to say, your fan is causing the noise.  You simply got an old vehicle that has a number of factors gone wrong & has been neglected - hope the engine's compression & other big ticket items are good - you've still got a shot at this being a winner!  If the dealer you go to doesn't have an old schooler who's worked on these in their prime, try another.

Edited by tstockma
clarity

pat, Let us know what the shop says im curious to know what your problem was. 

Hope you get it running like a top.