I am in need of an outer rim to the 14inch, 5 lug 1/2 ton dually system.  Anyone know where I can find one or have any ideas of where to look. I have gone to trailer tire places and a bunch of the local used tire places as well as the new tire places. The rim I have has gotten a crack in it and will not hold air. Please respond with any brilliant or backyard ideas.

Your trying to fix a bad situation. That extra dually is what causes axle failure. A 6 lug axle is your only safe option. 

Linda S

I have recommended single rear tires in the past but only for the shorty Sunraders. Lightly loaded they can weigh in at under 5000 lbs

Single wheels may be an option. This tire as a max load of 2270. Almost 400lbs more than our regular 185r14 tires. Get your butt weighed. You would also want to add a rear stabilizer if you don't already have one to help with the narrower track. And probably new wheels. 

https://simpletire.com/thunderer-205-r14c-th0309-tires

Linda S

As Linda said, the foolie axle is unsafe. You really want the 6 lug ff.

As a stopgap measure you could have the crack welded. That would be cheapest way. I wouldn’t worry about the weld affecting balance. You’re never going to be going fast enough to feel any vibration.

Not all foolie wheels were made the same. You need one that’s identical to the one you’re replacing. Different manufacturers used different systems for attachment.

My old foolie wheels (4) may still be around. PM me for details.

6 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to fit those to a standard 5" or 5 1/2" wide rim. Speedo's going to be off too.

image.png.832f050ec4b5b602607f7e4179407241.png

And I did mention new wheels. 14x7   5 lug wheels are readily available and not that expensive compared to the cost of an axle. The wider wheel and tire will also help with stability. Free GPS app on phone will quickly tell you how far off the speedo is and easy to estimate once you know

Linda S

32 minutes ago, linda s said:

And I did mention new wheels. 14x7   5 lug wheels are readily available and not that expensive compared to the cost of an axle. The wider wheel and tire will also help with stability. Free GPS app on phone will quickly tell you how far off the speedo is and easy to estimate once you know

Linda S

I agree with Linda. I don’t even look at the factory speedometer anymore. I had a old Garmin GPS laying around which makes a perfect digital speedometer. Just click the speed display in lower right corner. It turns the entire unit into a digital speedometer with odometer and trip odometer display. Brightness can be adjusted and easy to read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a set of these 5 lug duallies inner and outer, 1 side only. Yes 6 lug is better but many unlucky individuals never cashed in on Toyotas axle recall program and still have vintage 5 lugs. Let me know if you need the unobtainium. 

The 6 and 5 lug components are pretty much non-existent.

Edited by PhantomWrench
Incomplete

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, PhantomWrench said:

I have a set of these 5 lug duallies inner and outer, 1 side only. Yes 6 lug is better but many unlucky individuals never cashed in on Toyotas axle recall program and still have vintage 5 lugs. Let me know if you need the unobtainium. 

Do you have the outer 5 lug ?? I need one. I'm in California.

On 11/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, PhantomWrench said:

Do you have the 5 lug outer. I need one. I'm in California.