Just got my 1984 shorty home and I'm beginning a 'tune up, of all systems and structure. My roof currently has no obvious leakage. Drove it home in driving rain and had downpours since and thorough inspection found no inferior water. Nevertheless,  there have been previous repairs and the vents have been 'generously ' taped. There is some cracking/crazing of the fiberglass. I am considering a roof coating application such as Henry's Tropicool or Dicor's Fiberglass Roof Coating. Are either of these the right/best choice for an overall treatment? Can/Will it seal over old tape? The focus here is the roof rather than the sides but I'm headed there too. 

No need to reseal fiberglass. Think boat. If you must fill the cracks maybe something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/MagicEzy-Second-Chip-Oyster-White/dp/B00LCAFPPM?th=1

That tape on the vents needs to be removed and all the vents and plumbing vents need to be resealed with butyl tape, it is not a tape that goes on top, it is a flexible putty that goes between the shell and the vent edge. Then you can apply some self leveling roof caulk around the edges. I never have though. My butyl tape alone has never leaked. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I had thought that was the case with the tape. Fortunately, it's only the bathroom vent Maxair cover. Not a huge job to redo ... said every optimist. :) will inspect the other vents and work through rehab'ing them. On the underside of the cab, right above the driver's side window, there is an actual chip out of the fiberglass. About 1/4  inch square. What would you recommend for that?

Edited by akwcanoe
Omitted word

There are tons of different fiberglass chip repair products. West Marine is where the quality stuff is but most would work fine. 1/4 inch isn't anything to stress about. Stuff I posted would work. I just used bondo and mine was a pretty big piece. Still haven't painted it but it's sealed and someday I will get to it. Ford wimbledon white should be a good match to gel coat. Just feather it out

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-EBFM00417-Wimbledon-Perfect-Automotive/dp/B00KTEG6WI?th=1

It's not this yellow but the early Sunraders do have a tinge of yellow to them

Linda S

Great. Thanks again. Nice to be able to move ahead with the benefit of experience. 

13 hours ago, akwcanoe said:

On the underside of the cab, right above the driver's side window, there is an actual chip out of the fiberglass. About 1/4  inch square. What would you recommend for that?

To do it to 'perfection', you can buy small pots of 'Gel coat'. Assuming the 'chip' isn't too deep. Pretty runny, so several thin coats would be needed for overhead use. Not cheap stuff.

image.png.be7ecf6809a403d5f49381886474c666.png

Or you could use automotive body filler and paint. :)

Great. Thanks again. Nice to be able to move ahead with the benefit of experience. 

Thanks Derek. I do tend towards a clean fix. Hence the desire to 'fix' a roof that doesn't leak. The chip is right through the gel coat so I might fill to 80% with bondo and finish will the Gel coat. That said, it's kinda right where I hit my head getting out so there might be something softer going there soon!

to your question.. you want to re-seal all your marker lights as the screws they used will be rusted out and are leak points - same with the antennae mount screws. If you have not already you should get some shark fin vortex vent caps that spin 360 to replace the factory stink pipe covers. Agree with Linda on new butyl tape for the vent shroud mounts but would add to also replace those screws also rust. i just redid my roof points also.

Thanks Totem. Would you recommend stainless steel screws or brass or other? I will be working through each feature systematically and checking for upgrades/replacements. Expect this to be an on-going program. Thanks for the heads-up so I can plan for getting a stock of fasteners in. 

You have money in you pocket? I thought you owned a Toyota motorhome? :)