Gas Cap

Ski Tom

Left my gas cap on a pump in idaho.  1986 18' Sunrader.

I saw there was a thread about locking caps, but anyone know of a  part number to replace the cap that came with the rig?  I believe it should be vented but may be wrong.  The max diameter it can be is 33mm i believe or else it wont fit inside the neck.  Tried a couple auto parts stores and they did not have any in stock that fit properly.

Thanks,

1985/86 pickup threaded cap...https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1985,pickup,2.4l+l4,1277300,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank+cap,5900

There other P/Ns listed so they may crossover at your local auto parts.

Remember you want a gas cap for a Toyota pickup not a gas cap for a Sunrader

Hello Ski Tom

Last year similar thing happened on my long trip from North West Oregon to Southern  California. After I realized  the gas cap was missing, I did not want to be driving around without the gas cap. I went to a local O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They asked me for the VIN number and found me the right fit. Now the gas cap is tethered to the filler pipe eliminating chances of forgetfulness.  

I have a similar problem, Tom.
I have a 1986 21 Sunrader.

It doesn't have a proper gas cap. Instead, it has what looks two be a radiator cap on it.

Would like to eventually get the right one.
Rick

WME,

Looks like you may have found what I need.  The filler neck and cap seem to utilize more of a vented radiator style cap.  I bought one of the Stant/Gates gas caps at my local auto store but they don't stay on.  I am going to check out the Motorad cap as it looks similar to what was previously on there.  Thanks for the help, ill report back.

Edited by Ski Tom

I can find plenty to buy, but I am curious to know whether stock '84 and '85 trucks are supposed to have vented or non-vented gas caps.

I currently run vented in my '84 Rader Monterey and non-vented in the '85 stock PU.

Some caps on the RockAuto site under the either "vented", or  "regular" description, show "emission control" whatever the heck that means, is that maybe "sorta-vented"?

Also, it seems like even a vented cap would have a pressure threshold before it releases?

So much to want to know...   ;)

TG

Can you share a photo of yours?  Is it the radiator style cap or the plastic threaded cap.

I believe the one that came on my Sunrader was not vented, but I need to do more research.

Mine is a replacement, plastic push-to-lock, non-screw-in. I bought it in Missoula, at O'Rielly's I believe. Sorry, no part# on it.  I vented it by drilling a 1/8" hole sideways in the rubber seal because the system pressurized too much when the tank was absolutely full and outside temps were over 90 or so. You'll note, the throat looks able to accept both screw in and twist-lock. Also note, because my 4x4 fuel filler pipe is shorter and located in the wheel well, it sits a little lower and stock 2wd might tolerate a non-vented cap a bit better.

You can see I don't intend to lose many more caps in the future. Somewhere on another plane of reality,  there's a bunch of my unmatched socks and gas caps.

Hope this is helpful. (the first part):sorcerer:

BR,

TG

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

Thanks.  When I'm back with the rig ill check it out, but i believe we have the same style.  The help is always appreciated.

BTW this Idaho trip was the first time I have tested what the Sunrader can do off road.  I was quite impressed of how capable the truck is even with the weight/higher center of gravity.  4 low pulls really well over rocks and up steep/rough terrain.

Cheers

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2440.jpg

Thanks for the pix, what a clean looking 4x4. Great campsite. Having the same year rig, I agree on the low range gearing. Still can't stand washboard dirt roads to get to the "up-country" though, I get tired of listening to pots and pans. The next cabinet project is padded / noiseless cup/plate and pan drawers. PM me if you're ever up in Sonoma Co. and we can have some coffee and look at the rigs. By the way, have you weighed yours yet? If so, I'd be interested to know what you weighed in at. A couple of other 4x4's have been surprisingly different.

BR,

TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
Edit Test