IMG_1649.jpg.27ba178947a892800a2fd4a99d91237f.jpg

This is the day I bought it. Sitting on 2 ply tires with a date code of 19 years ago.

IMG_1830.jpeg

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1985.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

61324794070__1B6D218F-BEBE-4A7F-9CF2-2EC7E98BD54D.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2766.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

61464910171__A4AA4C6E-6B04-4613-899E-F7D4BD69278F.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

3 hours ago, lansisco said:

IMG_1649.jpg.27ba178947a892800a2fd4a99d91237f.jpg

This is the day I bought it. Sitting on 2 ply tires with a date code of 19 years ago.

IMG_1830.jpeg

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1985.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

61324794070__1B6D218F-BEBE-4A7F-9CF2-2EC7E98BD54D.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2766.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

61464910171__A4AA4C6E-6B04-4613-899E-F7D4BD69278F.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

If a thing is worth doing, Its worth doing right.

IMG_1985.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2832.jpeg

Wonderful job and thank you for posting it. I'm sure it will help someone in the future. Just one question though. The front windows? They have black caulk all over them. That's a sure sign of a window that has leaked in the past yet it doesn't look like you ever pulled them. I would hate for your new rig to get damaged cause you missed one thing. Even if it doesn't seem to leak when parked when driving the force of the wind can drive leaks though the tiniest of cracks. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I'm pulling and resealing those soon. I have a lot to do yet before I actually take it out of the barn.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Have you been finding aluminum framing?

image.png.02e40b40dbc7dafe496586b34f436044.png

Yes, that is exactly what mine looks like underneath the skin, is that significant?

4 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Just checking. You're one of the lucky ones when it comes to rebuilding a rotten 'home'. :)

Could you please explain? Thanks Derek!

I am surprised at how well this thing came back together. It was a real mess, and I took a deep breath, a lot of pictures, and started removing rotten wood until it was gone.

I plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm a huge fan of the back of the coach being open with windows, and not a bathroom area. I had no idea what I was buying, other than I know Toyotas and I wanted one as bad as everyone else does. Is the aluminum framing highly sought after? Is it unique? What can you tell me about this thing?

Thanks very much Derek!

Thank you, Linda!

My thoughts on the front windows were to take them out and bring them to a glass shop in town. The place made me a rear window from scratch and installed it in the stock frame for a little over $230 bucks. Safety glass with UV protectant etc. I am a little worried as to how much work is going to go into cleaning that black stuff off. Any advice from the forum?

Also, is the plate cool, or tacky in the world of Toyota camper types? I don't care either way, It works for me. lol.

Looks as if you are a professional at rebuilding 😃 The sunland express has the aluminum frame work  also. Another 2-3 manufacturers use aluminum framework. Wood rots fairly fast when exposed to water. That way they can sell you a new one. Lots of us have done some replacing but so far ours has been minimal , only had 27K on it 11 yrs ago.Good luck with your endeavors.

Thanks very much, Homer. I'm not a pro at all, but I have a lot of patience and a clear idea of what I want it to be like when I'm done. 

30 minutes ago, canadasunrader said:

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Happy to share! I've been reading other people's posts for months while I put mine together. This forum has been incredibly helpful!

great rebuild. not for the faint of heart. your work looks very good. i have a 92 winnie warrior. it also has the metal frame work. thanks for sharing your photos. best of luck, and many carefree miles for your future.joe from dover.

20 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I've read this before but can't really find any evidence.

Construction 5.jpg

I'll take the awning!

Wow! Great job. You really had to basically build it all from scratch. The Roof looks great.

Edited by Dolphin79

35 minutes ago, Maineah said:

I hate to ask how much did that cost you?

I paid $3k for the Motorhome and have about $4k invested in improvements. Many of which are not visible yet. The roof metal was less than $200 bucks. There is a lot of money spent "invisibly". The labor is free because I have some pretty awesome friends. I do as much as I can on my own, then have the guys come over and fill in the gaps. 

Edited by lansisco

5 hours ago, Maineah said:

The roof looks stainless maybe it's just shiney.

Lol no, it’s aluminum. It is pretty shiny though. I’m tempted to wax it to keep it easy to clean. 

Can I ask where you were able to source that aluminum for the roof? I'm bout to start my own reroofing project on a 1980 Dolphin.

9 hours ago, Ska said:

Can I ask where you were able to source that aluminum for the roof? I'm bout to start my own reroofing project on a 1980 Dolphin.

Johnson's RV Surplus. White Pigeon, MI. Picked it up myself. I can't imagine it being shipped. It stuck out of the back of an F250 several feet.

21 hours ago, lansisco said:

Johnson's RV Surplus. White Pigeon, MI. Picked it up myself. I can't imagine it being shipped. It stuck out of the back of an F250 several feet.

I'll have to see what RV surplus I can find here in the NW. I called some metal suppliers and they said it was too big for them to deal with :glare:

What size and gauge did you go with? I figured it's probably 24 gauge aluminum sheet, 7'x16' or so

21 hours ago, Ska said:

I'll have to see what RV surplus I can find here in the NW. I called some metal suppliers and they said it was too big for them to deal with :glare:

What size and gauge did you go with? I figured it's probably 24 gauge aluminum sheet, 7'x16' or so

It was on a roll, and I'm not sure of the gauge. If you called them I'm sure they'd know. I think it was 96 inches wide. 

Edited by lansisco

15 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I paid about a third of that price, and was able to have it cut to order. Obviously you aren't going to drive to Michigan, but I'd find a better deal if possible. I am very lucky in that I'm near Northern Indiana which is the RV capital of the world.