1986 Toyota Conquest assessment from afar?

pdeng

Hi all,

I'm a newbie trying to find my way to my first Toyota motorhome. I live in Richmond, VA, a six-hour drive from this https://youngstown.craigslist.org/rvs/d/elkton-1986-toyato-conquest-rv/7146793815.html 1986 Conquest, 68,000 miles, images look good, for $6,500. The owners says no rust and some leaks were "fixed well" by the owner prior to him. I have the time to make the drive and look, but from all of your more knowledgable perspectives, what would you want or want to know before traveling six hours to look at the vehicle?

Thanks!

Philip

Pull a rear hubcap (or have the seller do it).

If the rear wheels have only 5 lug nuts holding them to the rear axle, the axle is unsafe, and needs to be upgraded. You’re looking at 2-4K for an axle swap (if you can find one). Factor this into your offer if you’re thinking of buying.

I bought my 1986 Sunrader and it was a 24 hour drive away. :)
I had a friend who lived an hour away drive up and give me a look via facetime.

You could do this with the seller if they can. Always nice to take a virtual walk around inside and out before taking the drive.

As you know, once you all that way it is difficult to come home empty handed.
That said, beyond the mechanics, the big surprises are always hidden behind the walls. If there have been leaks, how was the moisture dealt with? Perhaps seller can elaborate?
If it was just covered up you will have to deal with mold and rot eventually...

Have you actually driven a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?  I drove both and decided I wanted the minor extra power and more quiet cabin of the 6 cylinder.  4 cylinder is easier to work on and cheaper to replace though, to each his own. I just enjoyed driving the 6 cylinder better.

one thing I found when looking at Toyota RV's is a picture isn't worth a thousand words. since I've bought mine 4 years ago or so i've looked at many and my family and friends have bought 4 of them. pictures are deceiving. you really need to be in person, and when they say everything works no it don't. it worked years ago lol. I always asked when was the last time you used the fridge or the water heater and so on. because if its sat for a period of time likely something isn't going to work right.

with being said to me from Reno 6500 seems high.

let me add not high by much, id try to hustle him down to 5k and that's if when you walk through it its as nice in person as the photos.

Hey all, 

This is already turning out to be a really fun community to be a part of. I'm excited to learn all the ins and outs of owning a Toyota motorhome someday. After talking it over, I don't think I can make all the necessary arrangements to check out this Conquest, so I'm going to let it go for now. My dream vehicle was always the Sunrader, but this episode has inspired me to learn more about other potential models that might make a good rig for me. I'll apply all your tips and keep reading the forum as I search for something closer to me, and hopefully I'll be able to find someone to go with me to look. I just moved to the Richmond area from Seattle as things were locking down, so none of my friends are close, and I haven't really been able to make new friends yet. Such a great time for a project though...

Cheers!

You just left Sunrader rich country.  I looked hard for 2 years for Sunraders and only found one within 5 hours of my home in New Bern, NC.  Bought it.  If you find one, you need to be ready to jump on it quickly.  They are rare on the East Coast and others are looking also.  

I recommend that you get firmly in your mind what you want so that when one comes up that looks good, you instantly know (surprises notwithstanding) that you are going to buy it.  

@Royal I'm certainly getting that impression about the east coast. Thoughts on this one in FL: https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/rvs/d/fort-myers-1984-toyota-sunrader-19/7146676770.html

I'm eager to fix up interior stuff, having recent experience converting a van into a full-time camper, but I am a novice (eager to learn) in terms of mechanics. 

It's a 19'er.  They have a following.  A lot of our folks prefer them.  ..and it's a standard transmission which is most desirable. 

But, as you will read on the forum, does it have a 5 or 6 lug rear axle?  If 5, then pass.  If 6, then you can continue to explore other things.  

I would need a lot more pictures before I went any further.  

There are a million more questions that one could ask but I don't know what your talents are: 

i thought the smaller models didn't need to 6 lug FF

I see. 

I can't think of a single incidence that included an 86. 86Dolphino you know and thanks to you I know the true dually started manufacture in 8/85. We do have pictures on this site of an 18ft Sunrader with an axle failure that amazingly another member witnessed. It was bad and the wheel went flying down the road and could have hit another car

Linda S