How did you strip your pinstripes?

Iflyfish

I'm planning to remove the decals on the side of my '87 Sunrader. 

Can I use a paint stripper to remove the old decals? I'm concerned about damaging the fiberglass. 

Thanks for your help with this.

Iflyfishwithdecals

pinstripe 1.jpg

pinstripe 2.jpg

pinstripe 3.jpg

3M makes an eraser wheel that goes on your drill. Other companies make them too. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Stripe-Off-Wheel/?N=5002385+3293162209&rt=rud

The key is taking your time so you don't heat up the surface too much. I've never used one but I hear they work pretty good. Google decal eraser to find others. Don't use a chemical stripper. It will dissolve the gel coat

Linda S

Thank you Linda. 

I appreciate your thoughts. I have a wheel and have used it successfully. 

I am also looking at repainting the old stripes. 

Iflyfishwithapaintbrush

One of our members had all new decals printed and the company still has them in their computer. You can just order new ones and they look fabulous. Order from this place and tell them you belong to the same group as Jim, the Sunrader owner they already made some for. Don't know how much they were but don't think they were super expensive.

Order from here

T12 Marketing

Rockford, Illinois

815-985-8604

20200312_123817 (Small).jpg

Linda S

hey there. i removed graphics on my 92 warrior a couple years ago. i used the eraser wheel with great results. follow the instructions as to the max rpm or you can damage the underlying surface. i paid about $12.00 for the eraser wheel. i used two or three wheels to complete my project. i posted some before and after pics at the time. wish you well. joe from dover.

Electric heat gun and a plastic scraper. Harbor freight sells them for $14.95. The eraser wheels have a tendency to damage the paint.

Great input. Thank you. I appreciate this group. 

Iflyfishwithdecals

I used an eraser wheel and a heat gun,  whatever method one uses it takes patience to keep from damaging surfaces.  " Ghost"  strips may still be visible as the decal surface usually doesn't fade quite as fast as the rest of the fiberglass.PICT0007rvside.JPG.881c9b1955bf1d853e8086ef45b75118.JPG