No water on Dolphin

sammykay66

Hi im new owner of an 86 dolphin, when i hiok ip thevwater hose i get nothing from none of the sinks...is there any advice you can send my way? Thank you

Update .. found a pressure valve where the fresh water hose hooks up and now have water..

But still nothing pumps from onboard freah water. Gonna try a new pump!

Edited by sammykay66

• 2 months later...

Running into similar issue. Tried to turn on water pump, makes sound as if its on (with some scratchy sounds every now and then— inside fan of water pump?), but when I turn on  any faucet or  shower, absolutely nothing. Checked my breaker, have my 15 on and my 20 off (no need for AC and also not connected to shore power). Thinking the water pump is powered by house battery, right? 

What could be my issue? Please SOS Linda! :)

Water pumps do go bad. Or maybe your line into it is clogged. There should be a drain between the fresh tank and the pump. Find it and drain your tank then refill. Might dislodge something. Check power to the pump with multimeter. Don't know if there's a minimum amount of power for it to work. If you do need a new one they are not extremely expensive, 50 to 80 bucks I think and not hard to switch out. I did mine years ago. 

Linda S

13 minutes ago, linda s said:

Water pumps do go bad. Or maybe your line into it is clogged. There should be a drain between the fresh tank and the pump. Find it and drain your tank then refill. Might dislodge something. Check power to the pump with multimeter. Don't know if there's a minimum amount of power for it to work. If you do need a new one they are not extremely expensive, 50 to 80 bucks I think and not hard to switch out. I did mine years ago. 

Linda S

Thank you Linda.

I just turned on the engine and the water pump, and water went through faucets after a couple seconds, shower and faucets ran fine. But without engine on, the water pump won't run. According to my control panel, my battery is low. (It means house battery, not car battery, right?) Not sure if it's misreading battery levels, because it can barely detect that my fresh water tank was nearly full. 

Also there are two exterior drains, both on driver's side. One is what I believe is a water hookup (when I turned on my engine + water pump, it spilled out what must be fresh water, until I turned off water pump). I need a cover for that, to stop the spillage. The 2nd drain is looks like it's meant for convenient drinking water. Its old and broken and I had to use a wrench to set the plastic switch to off, so my water doesn't spill into the ground rather than my sippy cup.

So...is my battery actually dead(ish)? Or could the control panel possibly be deactivating it to preserve it from a full death? Questions, questions.

12 minutes ago, linda s said:

Your house battery is the culprit. Take it out and go have it tested. You can also check to see if water levels in battery are ok. Might need a new one though

Solid conclusion. 

Any recommendation for a different battery, in case this one has to be dumped? Mid range best bang for buck type of battery, if such exists..

Is this cheap enough and close enough

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC-12-Volt-690-MCA/180350522

These are the only batteries I buy. 

When the truck battery in my Sunrader died I thought it was only a few years old. Was in when I bought it. When I took it out to replace I discovered it was 12 years old. Amazing long life. My house batteries have always lasted at least 5 years

Linda S

You need to check if it's getting power from the engine when driving. Multimeter is needed

16 hours ago, linda s said:

Is this cheap enough and close enough

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC-12-Volt-690-MCA/180350522

These are the only batteries I buy. 

When the truck battery in my Sunrader died I thought it was only a few years old. Was in when I bought it. When I took it out to replace I discovered it was 12 years old. Amazing long life. My house batteries have always lasted at least 5 years

Linda S

You need to check if it's getting power from the engine when driving. Multimeter is needed

Beautiful luck!

Thanks for the info, as usual :)

I'm going to try to charge it and see from there...