Extremely LOUD inside cabin with campershell

Northoak

Hi folks,  Not exactly an RV here but I figured y'all might have more insight than the yotatech people.  It is extremely loud in my cab once I hit about 60mph.  Like so loud it is hard to hold a conversation or listen to music.  I've tried putting sound proofing under the carpet to no avail.  It feels like the sound is right behind my head but I don't feel any wind getting into the cab.  I'm wondering if im hearing the sound of wind hitting the flat surfaces of my camper shell.  Have any of you run into similar issues with your rv's that have flat surfaces facing forward like my shell does?  Anyone have any suggestions or experience with diy wind fairings?  Thanks in advance

Nick 

0.jpg.2950209765d3618c9c1835422153f0ef.jpg

Yup I can hear that aluminum vibrating from here. It looks like your cab is sealed to the front of the camper, right? So no air is getting in there? If not there are seals for that pretty cheap. Airfoils on the other hand are way more expensive than I think they should be. $400 and up. Maybe some here has some ideas about how to build one. We don't quite have the same problem as you because ours are sealed all around the cab and the front overhang usually has at least some slight angle to deflect wind. 

Thanks for getting back Linda! Not exactly sealed, I tried stuffing a good deal of foam in there to see if it would help with the sound.  it didn't seem to make a difference.

Google truck to camper seal and you will find better alternatives. Rubber EPDM seals made just for that. It's not going to help it if the noise comes from the roof to camper though. These are supposed to disperse the wind some and might help and they are cheap

https://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=air+vortex

I'm thinking if you mounted them in a point pattern to send air away from your camper. Someone will come in and post that I'm nuts but all good. Just need more ideas 

Linda S

Might consider that the flat steel surface beneath the back window, behind the seat in the cab, has no stock insulating or vibration dampening properties whatsoever. It is possible that it's susceptible to sympathetic vibration from the driveline that might occur at a certain speed. (No mention in your original post as to low noise vs high freq noise) I have had 5 early Toyota PU's of various years, regular and Xtra cab, and one ('84?) with a setup pretty much exactly like yours aluminum camper and all, and never had an issue.

Have you ever had the camper off to see if it's the problem?

Just a thought or 3.

BR,

TG

ToyoGuy: good to know that you had similar rigs without a problem!  I've since taken the shell off to see and things are still quite loud.  I'm currently putting sound dampening material in the doors and have covered the back wall behind the seat.  Hopefully that helps!  I'm also searching for a solid rear window but they seem a lil hard to find for a 79 - 83