Newbie Questions

Kayli

Hello all! I am a newbie to RV life. I have recently inquired about a 1989 20 ft Winnebago that I am looking to purchase. What are some questions I should ask the owner? I want to make sure I am asking all the right questions. Thanks!

OK so here are a few things. I'm sure I will forget some. 

Engine 

does he have any maintenance records. How many miles. Valve adjustment needs to be done every 60,000 miles or valves can get burnt

How old are the tires, anything older than 6 years needs to be replaced. There is a code on the tire telling you year manufactured. Google for instructions

Coach. Rule 1 is check for water damage. Stains on inside ceiling are a clue. check under top mattress for wet spots. Kitchen  and shower too. look inside cabinets. Ask him to show you water pump working. Appliances are expensive. Make sure they all work, especially the fridge. Ask that it be cold when you get there. 

Turn on furnace. Should klick on even when warm if you turn thermostat all the way to high. Try stove and oven. 

I'm sure there's more but thats a start

Linda S

We should get all this typed up as a bullet point list...

I’ve got a 91 Winnebago Warrior and will just second what Linda has said. If it’s got the V6, yeah it needed valve adjustment around 65K, as well as a timing belt replacement (t-belt failure won’t ruin motor but will leave you stranded). Then there’s the Headgasket replacement issue for that same motor, which should’ve been done (plenty more info on the forum for that issue). 

Roof should get at least a cursory inspection; should be able to walk around on top with no problem. 

Can’t really overemphasize trying out all the coach systems and appliances: if they can’t be demonstrated, assume they’re broken. 

Working dash AC is a must in my book. 

Pulling CarFax with VIN can also provide some important history.

That is the original Dometic fridge. It should run on electric and propane. Ask him to clarify what he means.  How is the AC being fixed. Is it being updated to accept modern coolants or refilled with the old stuff. The rig looks nice. I see no major issues jumping out but that is a 1988 truck. All Toyota motorhomes after 1988 had the 3.0 V6 engine

Linda S

I think most fridges from that era were 3 way meaning 110, 12 volt and propane. If this one is you certainly can use your solar to power it. It just takes a pretty big draw from it and on 12 volt they don't get quite as cold. 

Okay, I am talking with her again tomorrow so I will clarify how the fridge works and how the AC is being fixed. Thank you so much for your info. There is no generator that comes with this and I know that these RVs didnt come with them so I dont think thats a deal breaker but I am traveling from Florida and this is in Iowa. I have been searching for a floor plan like this one for months and need one by September so I am nervous I wont come by another one thats this clean/same floor plan. 

Ask if she can send you a pic of the fridge from the front and another one with the door open. Or maybe find the model number? It shouldn't be too difficult to tell. It does look nice but that's a long way to go if it's not as represented. 

Linda S

She sent me a thorough walk through video of the exterior and interior of the RV. I will try and get the model number. She has been getting a lot of work done to make sure it is ready to go, she has been taking it to the Winnebago motor home parts store.  I am speaking with her tomorrow to get more information on everything. In the meantime I am still looking but haven't seen anything for sale close to me.