Building a house power system from scratch for Sunrader

canadasunrader

I am beginning with an empty shell.
I have read a lot of very informative threads here on how the electrical system works and what others have done.
However, I am wondering if someone can give us newbies an updated basic outline of the modern parts needed to build a house system from scratch?
A lot has changed in the electrical world in the past few years. Would love to hear what individual parts are needed to make a basic system.
Thank you.

Whats your budget?? Do you want good, better or best?

Well, of course I want 'best', but that will probably come later.

For now I looking for 'good.'

I wasn't necessarily looking for models and makes, moreso was hoping to see what the various parts are required to buy to get going.

Of course I realize it all begins with the battery, but where does it go from there?

If you want a microwave, look at 'inverter' types. They're less power hungry, I believe. Panasonic makes them. Maybe others.

If you want to integrate solar, you'll have to get better advice than the none that I can give you. :)

Refrigeration? I believe 12v marine top-load units are pretty energy efficient, but not cheap.

Ok, I'll be more specific.

Here's what I need to power:

Various LED lights
Stereo
Fridge

Diesel heater
USB plug ins
Plug ins to power computers, battery chargers

I don't have running water on board. No need for pump.

I will eventually add a solar panel or two, but coming later.

For now, I would like to know what modern components are necessary to build a system.

Battery, yes.

Fuse box?
Inverter?
Converter?
Charger?

Still no water, EH😈

Here are the parts, maybe not the exactly the brand you want but the ideas will work.

Batteries if at all possible use 2 6v golf cart batteries. Lead acid size GC2, Sam's Club $90.00, better AGM XTR6, Amazon $299 ea., best LiFe, Amazon $999. LiFe does not come in 6v so you would need 2. LiFe's advantage is size and weight.

Inverter, converter,charger?? how about 3 in 1.  Xantrex Freedom XC 1000w or 2000w... Pure sine, auto transfer, 100 amp charger...Amazon $1000. Major bucks but it saves a bunch space which maybe useful

Depending on your needs you will need a simple 12v fuse panel or if you need 120v ac and 12v dc then you will need a proper rv power panel.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD5000-30-Amp-ACDC-Power-Control-Panel-_p_27.html

With out solar you need to keep close track of your battery status...https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Voltage-Motorhome/dp/B07FGFFHC6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=22MBTWIVX4ZH1&dchild=1&keywords=12v+rv+battery+monitor&qid=1591389394&sprefix=12v+rv+battery%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-6

In time add a 100w solar panel and see if its enough, you can add more 100w panels if you plan ahead and get a controller with growth potential.

Edited by WME

Depending on who made the load center it is possible to remove the DC side of the panel from the 120 volt leaving it in place. Then you can build a DC system with what ever you want. There should be a empty slot in the 120 volt panel this can power your new converter charger with a new breaker. You need to know what you are doing with the 120 volt stuff it is not wired the same as a house. The sky is the limit on DC power it is all in what you need I can go indefinitely with a 180 amps of batteries and a 100 watt solar it is portable and can be rotated and elevated. Be careful and decide what you actually need it can get expensive fast. There is a fine line between taking the entire house with you and what you actually need to enjoy an outing away from home!

Thank you!
Is there a brief list of basic needs when it comes to house power?
The battery is connected to the XX, which is then connected to the XX.. and so on.

Well where to start? "The shin bone is connected to the knee bone" The converter makes power to charge the coach battery and light the lights when it's plugged in. The truck charges the batteries when it's running (engine and coach) once it's off the coach battery lights the lights runs the water pump and all things DC until it goes dead the truck battery is not effected fortunately because of the "isolator". That's as simple as I can come up with.

If you speak electrons then this a well thought out system, if your clueless than this is a headache. But its worth it so read and try to understand.

https://www.boundfornowhere.com/blog2/2018/its-electric