Hi and thanks for reading!

My 92 Dolphin seems to lean to the left.  I don’t have proof, but I don’t remember it leaning this much prior to my first weekend trip last week!  All the tanks have been drained and dumped, so extra weight from water or grey/black tanks can’t be the issue. 

Questions:

1) What questions do I need to ask to educate myself on my rig in terms of suspension, axles, etc. I’m seeing a lot of talk on this forum about the recalled 5 lugs. I need some intro basic knowledge. I don’t know what to look for. 
2) Brings me to 2nd question: The recalls wouldn’t be open anymore, so how do I find whether there were any recalls that are now closed?
3) 1st trip: there’s a lot of sway when driving. I assumed this is normal considering age.  Also, steering seems to be very loose. I can turn the wheel between 10:00 and 2:00 with little action, with the need to move it back and forth in that range to keep her going straight. I feel like I’m driving in a cartoon.  What is acceptable and what could mean potentially unsafe, or repairs that need to be made?  
4) What type of place should I take her to have this stuff checked out by someone who actually has some experience with Toyotas?  I live in the Seattle area. 

thanks! 🙏 

Julie in WA

You probably have air bags in the back for added support. If one has leaked it will make the camper lean to that side. Do you know where they are. Have you ever added air? Valves are usually near the drivers side rear wheel or inside wheel well. Look just like a tire fill valve. Your camper came with a correct axle. Toyota upgraded the axles in 1986 so only older have the dangerous one. Sway problem might be sway bar bushings are bad front or back. You need to have the steering checked out for sure. Maybe someone here knows a mechanic near you but if not your going to have to just start calling around. Look at yelp and google reviews. Find someone who at least seems to listen to you. 

Linda S

Thank you Linda. Always very helpful!  I’ve never added air nor knew about the air valves. I will look. Any photos so I know what I’m looking for?  I’ll look around for a shop. Maybe a mechanic specializing in RV’s or large trucks is what I assume I would want. 

Just look under the rear of your camper near the axle. Air bags look like a double donut or cone shaped rubber thing installed between the leaf spring and the frame above it. If you seen them you know there are valves somewhere. I don't have a Dolphin but maybe someone here will tell you exactly where they are. 

Linda S

Thanks. I did recognize those valves but didn’t know what they were for. I had a few things checked out today by my regular mechanic and he said that one of the fill valves was leaking so they replaced it. When I went to pick it up, the rig was leaning to the left again, although not as bad as before. Guessing the air bag has a leak. 

13 hours ago, WAdolph92 said:

Thanks. I did recognize those valves but didn’t know what they were for. I had a few things checked out today by my regular mechanic and he said that one of the fill valves was leaking so they replaced it. When I went to pick it up, the rig was leaning to the left again, although not as bad as before. Guessing the air bag has a leak. 

Put a tire gauge on each valve and you’ll see quickly if either has a leak (they should roughly match if they were both pressurized the same by the shop).

Damaged or weak torsion bars can also cause a lean in the front end; sometimes they can be adjusted, sometimes need replaced.

Edited by Ctgriffi

Thanks everyone who responded. The problem

seemed to be in the fittings. My mechanic replaced them. I notice there still seems to be some leakage but very little—not like before. He pressurized to 50 and I’ll check in a few more day to see how much leaked.