Water leaking in a 1986 Toyota Granville...

Hey there - I just hooked up my new-to-me 1986 Toyota Granville to water via a hose for the first time - and the results...are feeling like they weren't too great. As I've readily admitted elsewhere on these forums, I'm completely new to pretty much anything related to the land of "RV." 

So, I figure instead of trying to explain what I ran into - I'd just show with a video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n78bmn83qtgb8n/leak-consult.mp4?dl=0

One. I'm wondering what the heck those odd 'drains' are. Because they seem like they're on purpose. And second, is this going to be a big deal to make right? Any feedback/top of mind reaction welcome. 

Probably low point drains. Go inside and find the spot where they are draining from and see if there is a valve on them to shut them off. Mine had a small brass valve on them.   Close the valve.  They are used when you winterize the camper to make sure all the water is out of the lines.  I took mine out, because I blow out my line with air and then pump RV antifreeze in.

Yeah they are likely the water tank drain valves but did you know your not supposed to attach your RV to the hose without a water pressure regulator? Plumbing is very old polybutyl pipes and high pressure can blow them out. I know many use the water hose route but I always just use the fresh water tank. Just turn the pump on when I need water. You never risk coming back to a flooded camper after a hike that way. 

Linda S

By the way is your grey tank full? Seal at the top where it connects to downspout can wear out and when overfull tank will leak. Be a good idea the check the poopy tank too just in case

Hi there - thank you both. Jim, your theory makes so much sense and I did find a valve there under the kitchen sink - although either way I turn it, water seems to eventually come out of those drains below. But - if nothing is draining there are no leaks. Which I guess is a good sign? This all could 100% be user error as I try to understand and contextualize the systems in this thing. (It was just yesterday I learned the difference between "city water connection" and "potable water" - and. Duh. One is just to connect, the other is to store. I'm clearly not deeply experienced here.)

I did some watch some "RV basics" youtube videos before hooking the hose up to try and set my expectations on how this is all supposed to work, and it was there I learned about the need for a pressure regulator - thank you Linda. For that reason I very intentionally put my backyard hose on low to make sure I didn't throw too much pressure at it.  And, as near as I can figure it, the grey tank is not full - and plopping off the drain cap it's very clear that no water had ran through this thing for a long time. 

As far as the poopy tank - it's a great question. Would it be a very dumb idea to just put the hose in the opening of the toilet and open up the drain to see?

Also, perhaps today I'll experiment with actually filling up the fresh water tank and see if the pump still works. I feel like a bumbling archeologist on a grand adventure. Very much appreciate these forums thus far. 

If your drain valves are like mine, then you don't turn them to "turn" off the water.  You push the valve stem in as far as it will go.  If then it still leaks, you will need to remove the stem by pulling it out and replace the "O" rings with new ones available at a hardware store.