Portable converter?

Iflyfish

I'm looking for a portable converter 12v to 110. We have computers to charge when we are offline. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BESTEK+400W%2F500W+Car+Power+Inverter+DC+12V+to+AC+110V&ref=nb_sb_noss

I'm looking at this one. They sure have gotten cheaper! 

BESTEK 400W/500W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V 

Ideas, experiences? Thanks

Iflyfishfullycharged

Hey iflyfish, I bought a 1000watt continuous 2000watt peak to run my 500watt microwave 2 days ago.  Took it back yesterday when it would not run it.  Turns out that the one I got was a modified sine wave output instead of a "pure sine wave" (which are a lot more expensive).  You might want to research the modified/pure differences before purchase.  I don't think that anybody makes 500watt microwaves any longer.  

As an aside, for 15 years, my wife and I owned and operated a fly fishing camp in Roscoe, NY.  (Trout, of course)

^^ What he said about pure sine

I charge my computer with a 12 volt to 19 volt charger. No laptops actually run on 120. They have converter boxes right in the cord. Less power drain and charges perfectly. Mines old but this is the company 

https://www.amazon.com/stores/PWR/PWR/page/DFB16C24-799C-4413-AA6C-AFE5DC167E7A

Converter box on the adapter cord looks exactly the same as the converter box on the factory cord. Just steps up instead of down

Linda S

On 5/28/2020 at 6:33 PM, Royal said:

Hey iflyfish, I bought a 1000watt continuous 2000watt peak to run my 500watt microwave 2 days ago.  Took it back yesterday when it would not run it.  Turns out that the one I got was a modified sine wave output instead of a "pure sine wave" (which are a lot more expensive).  You might want to research the modified/pure differences before purchase.  I don't think that anybody makes 500watt microwaves any longer.  

As an aside, for 15 years, my wife and I owned and operated a fly fishing camp in Roscoe, NY.  (Trout, of course)

Thanks Royal, very helpful post. Sounds like a great place to have and to fish! 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, WME said:

^^ What he said about pure sine

Thanks WME! You consistently provide great info and feeldback.  

On 5/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, linda s said:

I charge my computer with a 12 volt to 19 volt charger. No laptops actually run on 120. They have converter boxes right in the cord. Less power drain and charges perfectly. Mines old but this is the company 

Converter box on the adapter cord looks exactly the same as the converter box on the factory cord. Just steps up instead of down

Linda S

Thanks Linda. You are such a great resource for info! This is exactly what I was trying to sort out. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

Thanks Linda. You are such a great resource for info! This is exactly what I was trying to sort out. 

There are multiple voltages in a computer 3.3, 5, and 12 volts a standard inverter should charge your computer via its own power supply box or run it for that matter the magic is in the computer. The 19 volts is to keep it with in the 12 volt range despite voltage flucuations.

3 hours ago, Maineah said:

There are multiple voltages in a computer 3.3, 5, and 12 volts a standard inverter should charge your computer via its own power supply box or run it for that matter the magic is in the computer. The 19 volts is to keep it with in the 12 volt range despite voltage flucuations.

Thank you! 

We have an original power converter in our '85 coach. As we use computers, watch TV, charge phones, etc., when we travel we think it would be advisable to replace our converter.  I know this has been discussed before but can someone advise us to what manufacturer and model # would be our best replacement? 

Short answer yes. The older converters were weighted towards powering the camper, lights etc. They were not real good battery chargers. The modern ones are pretty good at both.

I owned a Winnebago View before my Sunrader. I had to replace my Trojan batteries, about three hundred bucks worth, because they would sulphate over the winter. For about one hundred fifty bucks I installed an Inteli-charger that pulses 14 volts and keeps the batteries from sulphating. I have done the same with my Sunrader. 

I also installed a trickle charger to the converter so that my truck engine is charged at the same time as my coach batteries. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=IC0UY483KFA0&dchild=1&keywords=trickle+chargers+for+12+volt+batteries&qid=1591146302&sprefix=trickle+charger%2Caps%2C401&sr=8-5

Ok, Thanks for the info on the replacement PD converter.  It seems that the only reason to replace old unit is for better charging of coach battery? There is no "cleaner" power benefit? I was worried my old converter wasn't ideal for today's sensitive electronics (i.e. phone, laptops, TV's etc.)?  In regards to battery charging my old converter seems to be working fine. I've not had any battery sulfating problems. In fact I'm just now  changing out my coach battery after over 7 years use.

A newer converter is electronically quieter, and smarter. An old school convertor maybe rated at 30 amps, but they only charge the battery at 1 or 2 amps A new style 30 amp unit will charge a battery at 30 amps.

IF you keep track of water level in the battery the old style converter won't damage your battery and it will charge your house battery eventually.

The older converters were fero resonate as in transformers they were not real efficient and were weighted towards making electricity for the lights and all thing DC and pretty weak on battery charging. The modern switching supplies are far superior on both efficiency, power and regulation for battery chaging. I guess if it works don't fix it but they do make a nice upgrade.