One of the rear wheels on my Toy Odyssey has a small crack which leaks air causing the tyre to deflate over couple of weeks. I live in Europe and getting a replacement wheel seems like mission impossible.

I've talked with couple of metalworkers to repair the wheel but both said that it will not hold well. Is my only option to put a inner tube inside?

Or bite the bullet and pay the exorbitant prices of postage and import duties to import from US?

Thanks

Nikolay

The only wheels available from the US are going to be used wheels. Might be difficult to find a source that will ship to you. Here is a new one in Japan for about the same price and maybe less shipping and import

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/toyota/wheel-disc-for-spare-426013547103

I don't know anything about this site but if there's a problem I'm sure your credit card charges can be disputed the same as ours

Linda S

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the quick response! Delivery charges seem very reasonable at 50 USD per wheel. Can I double check that the wheels on our Toys are actually Toyota OEMs? I thought that the motorhome manufactures put aftermarket wheels on. I can't see any standard  markings on the actual wheel to make sure. 4 of the wheels look a bit fancier (perhaps the aftermarket ones) and 2 (the insides on the back) look different although they appear interchangable  apart from the looks.  I have attached photos

Fancy wheel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yxD6AR6HJcMmhz2E6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/64vCoE6o517sSAEp9

Simpler looking wheel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/St5rk3eLT1vtjVxn6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qGBrmAWooz1DgvXMA

I didn't notice the year of your rig so I just looked for the dual wheels that Toyota made after 1986. Yes your 1978 would have originally had a 5 lug wheel in the back but your axle has been upgraded at some time and you have a true full floating axle. That is the good one. To confirm that the wheels I found are correct, on one of the wheels that is off measure across from center of lug hole to opposite one. If it's 18.415 cm then they are true Toyota wheels and the ones I posted will fit. Love to see your motorhome. Post a pic. 

Linda S

With the FF DRW axle, Toyota supplied 2 different 6 lug wheels.

1986 only, the 6 lug wheels had  6 hand-holes (with 5 lug wheels on the front):-

image.png.043111e65453eed2d0621b6f0305dd10.png

1987 - 1993 the 6 lug wheels had 3 hand holes, front and rear:-

image.jpeg.e448d8180b28b12445e6b482339d3d06.jpeg

This appears to be your 'simpler' wheel. I assume you have 4 like this and would have come with the Recall 'Kit' from Toyota.

image.jpeg.591930c3fdb4f8c622edcbf725414b47.jpeg

Your 'fancy' rims are a bit of a mystery. I've seen them a few times before, IIRC on Odysseys. They appear to have the same BCD and center hole, but only have 5 hand holes. I think they were mounted to a standard 5 lug front hub using an adapter.

image.png.e5148e45ceb42502abe2a08689fdfb28.png

Here's an Odyssey with 5 hand hole rims front and rear.

image.png.29580a35876268daee56f04ed3918f94.png

Here's a '5 lug to 6 lug' adapter with 'fancy' 6 lug wheels.

image.png.c72acb367fe847f5f9750cb9e942b9e0.png

Which of your wheels is cracked? I'm going to guess it's one of the 'fancy' ones, which I'm going to guess is an Aftermarket (non-Toyota) part. I don't remember ever hearing of a Toyota wheel failing, only 'foolies'.

Since you have both types of wheels available, you can evaluate if they will interchange, front and rear. Assuming the all have the same BCD and center hole, the major difference will be the rim width and offset/back spacing.

Toyota dually rims are 5" wide. I don't know the offset/back spacing.

Yes he has both 3 and 6 hand hole wheels. They are inter-changeable. I searched thinking it would be a newer rig and used a vin from a 1991. Wheel will fit fine either way if the lug spacing is the same. 

Linda S

Wow, that is a lot of very useful info. Need to measure when it stops raining! Indeed my rig is an Odyssey, so probaly the "fancier" rims are the aftermarket ones. And they are also the ones that have cracked. I will post pictures - looks scary on the outside, but is very cosy on the inside and solid mechancially. Plus it runs on LPG saving me ton of money when I travel.

Well I just found Toyota dually wheels available from Toyota. They will also be the three hand hole style. Here's the part number. 

Toyota Part No.: 42601-35381

You could check and see if a nearby dealer would order them for you. That would probably be the cheapest way to go. Editing post because other Toyota sites are showing it not available. Don't know who is right

Linda S

Sorry, but I disagree that his 'fancy' wheels are 6 hand-hole wheels. Though I've had to use my X-Ray Super Power, the spacing just isn't right for 6 holes and the size/shape of the holes is wrong. They're 'mystery' 5 hand-hole wheels.

The 1986 Toyota 6 hand-hole wheel have smaller 'holes' and since there a 6 lugs and 6 holes, they are centered. The 6 & 5 combination are not centered.

6 hand-hole and 3 hand-hole rims almost interchange. Later 3 hand-hole have conical seats & lug nuts. 6 hand-hole are flat seats & lug nuts. I won't guess as to what the 5 hand-hole wheels use.

5 Hand Hole wheel.jpg

6 hand hole Wheel Rim.jpg

Yup they do look different. Worse case scenario he has to buy 2 wheels and use the new ones in the back with his other 3 hand hole ones and run the custom ones in the front. He's in Bulgaria. He needs to find a way to make the best of it. 

Linda S

Without rereading everything, I think he has 4 of the 3 hand-hole wheels that would have come with a Toyota Recall Kit. Somewhere along the line the front has received adapter/spacers and the 5 hand-hole wheels. 1 has failed.

If this is the case, I would try fitting a 3 hand-hole wheel on the front to make sure it fits without clearance/offset issues. If no issues, I'd order 2 new 3 hand-hole wheels. The 5 hand-hole wheel might be useful as a spare, if he doesn't already have one.

Thanks again for all your input! It looks like I have 4 wheels with 5 hand holes and 2+1spare with 3 hand holes. All are with conical nuts, so look interchangeable. My front tyres were also loosing air slowly but now that I've checked them the air is seeping through where the valves connect to the rim. Bottom line is I have one damaged wheel. Plan is to keep that as a spare with an inside tube to account for the crack.  This will save a ton of money. I will also call the main Toyota dealer in Sofia with the part number that Linda provided to check price.

I've taken a photos of the hubs for reference

Rear https://photos.app.goo.gl/4WUVJYKGaepGqkRC9

Front https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiqLvbRTTcaFCpPw8

I've had way too much trouble with old tyres last year and forked out for full new set of rubber and I thought I have the wheels sorted but the cracked wheel has thrown me off a  bit. I am thinking of getting an aftermarket TPMS tyre pressure monitor so I can catch problems early. Do  you guys have experience with those? Are they reliable?

Quick note on the LPG/propane system the camper runs on. In Bulgaria LPG conversions of petrol engines are fairly common. I will say that perhaps of 10% of the petrol cars are converted. The camper was a challenge as the fuel injection is ancient (RE22).  I was lucky to find a very good mechanic who was around at the dawn of the LPG conversions in the nineties and has seen such engines before. I am very happy with the end result - for the trade off of perhaps 10% reduction in power I spent 50% less on fuel. The petrol spent was about 20litres per 100km and now I get about 25l of LPG for 100km. Keep in mind that a price of litre of petrol is 1.23 USD which makes a gallon cost 4.66 USD. LPG is like 40% the price of petrol. I've got 2x40l LPG tanks slung at the bottom of the camper. I still have not piped them to the living quarters LPG system. Perhaps later on. For your reference LPG in Bulgaria is a mixture of propane and butane.

I could not find any photos of the camper on the inside! Promise to post some once I clean it !

One the outside. I am still at two minds if I should try and paint so it looks acceptable or leave as it is. I like the beaten look and it also acts as thief deterrent.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiqLvbRTTcaFCpPw8

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Now I'm a bit puzzled. I expected to see a 5 lug front hub with an adapter but instead I see 6 lugs. :)

image.png.c85393f15381783d731ecfe89fff678f.png

The early trucks used a 5/6 adapter, later trucks used  a 6/6 adapter

Here is a 6/6...http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9266-rare-find-dually-front-hubs/

A 78 would have had 5 bolt fronts and a wide L60x14 rear or foolies. I'm not exactly sure of the oldest trucks date, but the later 6/6 brake rotor will fit on the standard 5 bolt spindle, IF the truck has torsion bar front springs. So who knows what has happened to this old toy.