Question - replacing running lights

WAdolph92

Hi 👋. Going to replace my running lights in the next few days. I have 2 questions to ask:

1. I’ve watched a few videos and none use anything to seal the running lights to the fiberglass. Is this recommended, and if so, with butyl tape?  Seams like a potential leak waiting to happen if I don’t. I plan on cleaning all the old caulk down to the fiberglass, putting the new LED in place with screws, and sealing around the edge with Dicor lap sealant (non-sag). Sound about right?

2. The lights I purchased are below. Amazon (Partsam). One red and one black wire. Please help me know which wires to connect to which. 😀

Thanks!

Julie in WA

BBA1974C-F9AE-46F8-B847-78969C77BF19.jpeg

Yes, seal the light with butyl between the light base and house with butyl tape. add a little around the mounting screws and wires.

LED lights are 'polarity sensitive', so if they don't work, reverse the wires. Test before sealing with butyl! Going simply by wire colors is not a good idea, especially wiring in the house. Double especially by any added by previous owners!

I wouldn't be surprised if the light wiring is designed following 'normal 12v automotive convention (Red = +ve, Black = -ve).  It appears to be quite common (but not universal) for the 'house' to use 'White = Negative'. Black, brown, green and purple seem 'popular' for Positive. :)

Here's wiring for Dolphins and Winnebagos.

93 Dolphin - Clearance Light Wiring.jpg

1990 Automotive 085259.pdf

Thank you Derek up North!  To clarify, I assume you mean to seal around the screws and wires and around the edge of the inside of the base, with the tape down to the base, not the RV wall itself? Also, I should disconnect the auto battery or is that overkill?

Edited by WAdolph92