AC fridge and battery consumption.

86Dolphino

Hope all is well and safe. 

So I'm getting very tired of my absorption fridge and started looking at dorm mini fridges. 

I'm looking at a premium fridge model # PRF31600ms weighs 52 pounds and has a yearly kw usage of 270. If my father is right I think that converts out to 30 watts a day or 2.5 amps. Plus i added in my tv which is 36 watts or 3 amps (tv runs max 3 hours a night) I have 2 6v golf cart batteries with 215 ah ( I think) 130 watt solar panel mppt rover charge controller. 

I know I run some lighting but it's all LED at like 7 watts plus my water pump once and a while and my heater which runs for a hour may 2 hours total a night.  Am I over burdening my batteries if I went the rout of the AC fridge?

Main problem leveling, second problem never really cold enough. Latest problem 24 hours of being on 69 degrees.  Ever since I gotten into the rv/camper hobby I've never had the fridges work real well. I love the concept of not using power and running off propane but for me its Beginning to be more of a hassle than it's worth. 

Strange, I had a new cooling unit put in mine when I first got it, like 15 years ago. Can keep ice cream in the freezer no problem. The one in my Nissan Sunrader has never been serviced and it still works fine too. I do my leveling with my air bags most of the time. A couple of times in back country I had to take my shovel and make a mound or just build up some rocks to park on but not very often. Spent plenty of time in Tahoe and Reno area so altitude isn't really an issue. 

Linda S

Well let's trade bahahaha 😀😂😅

Hmm so do you want my fridge or my Sunrader. If the world wasn't locked down right now I'm pretty sure I could find you a fridge. New ones are very expensive but sometimes good used ones pop up on craigslist. Too bad Dr George in Sacramento closed. They always had fridges in stock but alas they are gone now

Linda S

The fridge I have now is from like 2014 so not that old. It's a dometic. And I was just trying to be funny. Lol 

Yep the burner was working. Last summer it worked kind of 45 and 50 degrees not ideal 

• 1 month later...

Fired up my 3 way fridge again on Wednesday.  Come this morning ice cold. Haven't changed anything.  Parked in the same spot. Running on AC same as last time when it wouldnt get cold. Dont understand. 

My guess is there were some ammonia crystals clogging the cooling tubes. Daytime in Reno has gotten hotter but nights still cool. Maybe the temperature changes have dissolved them so they can flow again. 

Linda S

They are not instant gratification they can take as much as 4 hours to get cool not cold running on gas I usually turn on mine the night before I go anywhere. They are environmentally dependent when it's cool out they work really well as in freezes things in the hot sun maybe 45*  

Yea I know. I go 24 to 36 hours beforehand